Svt3 vs. svt4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Nov 15, 2004.

1. I eventually want to buy an amps I'm leaning toward Ampeg since I like the sound of the svt3 pro. My question is is the Svt 3 loud enough to be heard without a Pa???. Or will I need to go with the svt 4. Keep in mind that I want this purchase to be long term I don't want to need another head in a couple years.

Thanks a lot.
  2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    You may need to add a bit more information for anyone to determine if the SVT3 is loud enough for you. What kind of music, how big are the venues you play, what kind of cab are you using, etc. The more information, the easier it would be to give opinions.

For what it's worth, my SVT4 is great. Loud enough for almost everything I've done (from small holes in the wall to outdoor festivals) and has lots of sound and connectivity options. Very cool amp. Not sure about an SVT3 though as I've never tried it.

But yeah, more info please! :hyper:

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1 on the above post.

More info from you = more help from us. ;)
  4. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    My Pro3 is more than loud enough for me. Never turn it up passed 9-o'clock with 7-o'clock being the zero position. And this is with 2 loud guitarists and a loud drummer - sometimes we have 3 or 4 guitarists and I never have a problem with it. I've never tried the Pro4, but I do know that brand new, there is a difference of $300-$400. The 4 will give you more headroom and I think it will carry a 2ohm load, whereas the 3 is only 450watts at 4ohms. If you can, try them both - A/B them if you can and make a decision from there.
  5. The show I play range from 50 to 500 people depends of the bands we play with. We won't play stadium but medium sized bars and venues.

as for the cabs I will probably buy them along with the head.
    depending on which head I get... I mean I won't buy a 1600w cab for an amp that push 500.

But thanks anyway guys I really appreciate your interest in my question
  6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The size of cab (410, 810, 212, etc.) is going to play a large factor in your volume also.

That said, I am using an SVT4 Pro mono bridged into 1 SVT410HLF cabinet. I play in a louder rock band, with 2 Marshall half stacks and a drummer to compete with on stage. We play everything from outdoor events to large clubs to smaller clubs. I have never had a problem with volume or headroom. I used to use 2 of those cabinets, but it was just overkill. Sure, it was neat to have one cabinet on either side of the stage, but I never really did have the need for it. Keep in mind though that mono bridging that head into one 4 ohm cabinet is pushing some SERIOUS power into the cab, make sure you get a cab that can take it, or just run one side of the amp. I have never had a problem and I have been doing it for about 2 years now, but I also don't get carried away with the volume knob or push the eq up too far either.

I haven't tried the 3Pro, but I have heard complaints that it seems underpowered. I have only tried one out in a store, never in a live setting, so I really can't comment. One thing though, is that if you go with the 4 Pro, you are not going to have to worry about not having enough power--it's about as big as they come without going to a seperate pre/power setup.

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well i think

if your budget allows for svt4
    why not :)
    have those extra power in case you playing in even a larger field, plus svt4 is one of the highest power bass amp too ... why not, i tried once, had it for a month and like much
  8. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I play an SVT3, while a friend uses an SVT4, so I pretty much know the virtues of both. Both of us play clubs and neither of us have had issues with enough power. I have to turn up to about 3/4 power on some outside gigs but never have any distortion.

I agree with some of the other players that if you can afford it, why not go with more power? As the saying goes: it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Good luck,

Tony Noriega
  9. If you can afford it get the svt4 for the increased power. You might not think you'll use it, but it's better to have it.
  10. Thanks guys, As far as money goes it matters but I don't care if I have to save a litlle longer especialy now that I have finished my studies and that I am a full time worker. Since the difference in price between the two is not that big, I think I will probably go with the svt 4, and that way it'll probably be a longer term purchase.

Now for the cabs, Ryan you said you are running through a 410hlf, aren't those supposed to be rated for 500 watts and the svt4 pushing up to 1200w when bridged? Does that means that in fact you don't really push it over 500w. That's a nice thing since I could buy a 410 instead of the 810, that would be less trouble to carry around.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My $0.02 on this.
    What Ryan does is way more pertinent than some among us do.
    I mean, when you have a 1200W head and a 500W cab, you just have to remember you'll NEVER crank the volume upper than 4/10, and then you're sure you'll get tons of headroom with a clear tone (= no cliiping).
    When you have a 200W head and a 500W cab, this is where problems may occur, since the lack of volume will cause you to crank the volume more and more, until clipping comes and may cause serious damage to the speakers.

To answer your initial question, SVT-4PRO + SVT-410HLF is a good solution. But if carrying doesn't bother you, SVT-4PRO + SVT-810E is better, IMO.

12. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I crank the volume close to 3/4 on my Schroeder :D , and it wants more!

As stated, putting an over-abundance of watts is no problem, unless you turn up to damaging levels. It's not like you turn on an amp at volume level 1 and it's using max wattage. Some would even say that at close to full volume, it's still only using close to max wattage only some of the time. Not sure to what degree this is true, but I know at least it's partly true. I would have blown many a cabinet already if it wasn't.

Check out other people's rigs on here and I think you'll find the "over-abundance of watts is A-OK" definitely going on. Some exceptions would be all tube amps of course. I haven't heard too many of those over 400watts anyway. So yeah, pile on the watts! I would just make sure to listen for the cab sounding nice and clean or rather, not sounding like it's dying or straining. You'll know it when you hear it.

Just my own .00002cents

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'd go for the extra headroom! I have a SVT3, and it's really not that loud of a amp. Just my two pennies :cool:
  14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Jean pretty much summed it up:

I am pushing a lot of power into that cab.

BUT--like I said, I don't get carried away with the master volume or with boosting levels on the EQ's to extremes. I have plenty of volume for what I need without ever having to go above 5 (12:00 position). But the clarity I have coming through that cab is amazing (TONS of headroom).

If pushing that much power through there does bother you, you can just run one of the amps on the 4 pro instead of bridging like I do. I have tried this, but for some reason, to my ears it just sounded better running the amp in bridged mode.
  15. GO with the 4 Pro More Power weather ya use it or not it is always at ur finger tips....This Head Rocks!!! Simply put!!!! :bassist:
  16. asmith

Nov 19, 2004
    I own/play the 4 pro, and compared to most other heads it seems to produce volume and power with ease.

I don't think it's scientifically this way of course, but I kind of see it as a pro quarterback throwing 30 yards as opposed to me throwing 30 yards. Sure, I can do it, and pretty well, but Brett Favre can break someone's hand at that range, and can certainly go much further downfield. That's the way that I feel when I play the 4 (I use the 410HLF and a 1x15) - it feels like the notes come out so easily, and with lots of headroom.

Mono bridged into the 410 is super loud, can't ever imagine needing more in any venue short of a stadium. My vote would be get the 4pro and 1 or 2 HLF's or an 810 (though I think 2 410s are a little darker sounding), or the 410 with a 1x15. Whatever you decide, play around lots in a store and make sure you can take it back if it doesn't work live.