Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT3 with 4x10 and 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by permadave, Jul 20, 2004.

1. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Guys,
    I have recently gotten an SVT3 and a 2x15 Mesa Cab from a friend and was wondering if there is any way to set this up so that I can also use my Peavey 4x10 cab with this setup. The 2x15 is at 8 ohms and the 4x10 is at 4 ohms.

Thanks!

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    If it is the SVT3-Pro head, then no, you will not be able to use the 4 ohm and 8 ohm together. I believe that head can only support a load as low as 4 ohms.

A nice 2x10 (8 ohm) on top of that cool Mesa 2x15 would make one heck of a rig !! :bassist:

3. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I meant the 2x15 was 4 ohms and the 4x10 is 8 ohms if that makes any difference.

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'm not familiar with the SVT-3 pro but if it can support less then a 4 ohm load then yes, if not now, you'll be running like a 2.66 ohm load if you run both cabs together.

Peace
    -Ben

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The combination of a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabinet is lower than the rated 4 ohm minimum load.

Not a good plan to combine them, since the 3PRO is rated for 4 ohm loads but not below, sorry.

I wouldn't guarantee it would damage the amp, but if it did, or if it went into protection etc, you'd know why.........

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, its not too wise to mix and match impedances in mono anyways.

I've done my homework on most of the Ampeg gear, and it seems like a bad idea. I almost got a 3Pro, but I was going to combine it with a B2R to power two 4ohm cabs. Seemed too elaborate for me... and it was actually more expensive. And since the 3Pro could never give me more than 450W (be it tube driven or not), I decided against it.

If you already have both of those cabs... I would suggest a stereo amplifier. Maybe just a power amp, that would allow you to use the 3Pro's preamp (since it sounds pretty swell, in my opinion).

In your situation... you'll either need to:
    1) Add something (power amp)
    2) Kick something out and replace it (The Mesa cab... which would suck, cuz Mesa's are sweet)
    3) Simply not use the Peavey

Decisions, decisions. I've been there :meh:

7. Already answered. No, you can't mix. 2 8ohm cabs will work dandy. I don't understand the knock on SVT 3's. Mine is running at 4ohms with 2 8ohm cabs and it is PLENTY loud. The master and tube gain are maxed out and the input gain is at the 9 o'clock position and if I really dig in, I can drown out both guitars. LOUD, I tell you.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've heard the 3Pro get pretty loud too, to be honest... directly into a 610hlf. For the most part, I didnt get one because it didnt really go well with my cabs (4ohms each).