Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Svt3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Erich Zann, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Seeing as how my new bass doesn't like my Peavey amp which looks like it's from the 80's (and probably is), I am going to buy a new one (yay!!) I may keep my current peavey 4x10, as I don't know if I want to spend the money just yet on a 410hlf, but we'll see.

I am considering (as you may have guessed by the title of this thread) an SVT3. The guy at musicstop said he's going to get one in for me to try with my curent cab, but before I do, I wanted to ask you guy's your opinions. Any thought's?

2. it claims to be 450 watts rms. sure didnt seem like it when i tried it out. I liked the tone i got, but didnt think it was powerful enough for me. (i ended up getting an eden wt-800)

3. It's an Ampeg.. I think it says enough. Reliability and a great tone. Then again, the 'Ampeggy' tone might just NOT be what you're looking for.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ampeg to me does not equal reliability. I´ve had a svt3 and a svt 2 pro and both have had major problems. The svt 3 does not compare to other amps claiming 450W. I sold my ampeg stuff and bought an Ashdown ABM 300 and just love it.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Use your ears.
    Then Remember Ampeg's 5 year warranty.
    Most flavor of the month designer amps don't offer that.

6. I have two SVT-III's and am pretty happy with them. One had a bad tube and a couple bad solders as it came from the factory but I got it fixed under warranty. I have never had another problem with it. The other has been completely trouble free.

Tone-wise I think they sound pretty good. They are no match for my V-4B, mind you, but that's comparing apples and oranges.

As far as power goes...that depends on how loud you play. I usually use them both when I gig and my band's stage volume is LOUD. I doubt only one could hack it...again it depends on YOUR situation. Maybe an SVT-IV Pro would be a better option if you are really worried about having enough power.

7. I'm using a SVT 3 PRO and I have to say I like it very much ! I got great tone with it and it sure has enough power !!

But it's true you have to like the 'Ampeggy' sound !

:)

8. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I haven't had much experence with the Ampeg tone, but I like it so far. It would definatly be loud enough for rehersals, and anywhere else I could usually just mic it or something. I really am thinking about going with an 410hlf just so I won't have to use peavey gear anymore! :)

I have heard people here say they aren't as loud as they should be, but the ampeg websight says that using spekon (?) connections should fix this. Now, seeing as how I know next to nothing about this, has anyone else tried this?

9. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh yeah, I should also add that Ampeg IS the classic rock and roll amp, and that IS what I love to play, so that's why it was my first thought :)

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    how didnt it seem like 450 watts? your not the only person ive heard say this. just curious to know how you know if its putting out enough power or not. im looking into buying one or the svt-2.