SVT3PRO power and "tube gain"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerrold Tiers, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There have been a number of posts and unrelated messages about the 3PRO, and power or apparent lack of power.

One thing that has come up elsewhere is a misconception about the "tube gain".

Frankly, I wish it had a different name. It sounds like you should turn it down to avoid having some sort of distortion effect. I have had some folks ask about that, so maybe its worth a reminder here.

Turning "tube gain" DOWN reduces the voltage on the driver tube plates. That increases distortion/compression, and reduces gain, possibly making the unit appear to have much less power before distortion. The effect is more defined as the volume is turned up.

So, actually, you should turn it up to have it NOT do anything, and turn it DOWN to bring it into effect.

For maximum gain and clean power, the "tube gain" should be turned UP all the way.
  2. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    This is great information as there does seem to be a lot of confusion about how this good tube gain feature works. I am a very satisfied owner of a SVT3PRO and running it through me Genz Benz 4x10 cabinet, I think it is very powerful and loud.
  3. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    SVT IIIPro into an SVT 1540 cab, great sound, plenty of volume, no complaints! :p
  4. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I too, am a happy owner of a 3PRO. I've only had mine for about 8 months and I'm beginning to explore all of the possible tones with this unit. Like I said in another thread, I mainly go for a clean tone and have used the Tube Gain as as mentioned above. I've been searching out a nice overdriven sound for an upcoming gig and I finally got the sound I was after - didn't take a whole lot of tweaking either. My 3PRO has more than enough power for my gigging situations. I love it. :cool:
  5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just asked about this on another thread but, thought I'd get some ideas here too...

How can I keep the overdriven-ness and distortion down (more clean) while keeping the gain way up? I know I have a different amp but think it's highly related in solution. Would EQ'ing help out in a way that doesn't sacrifice anything?

6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Turn the Tube Gain control to 10.