1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT3Pro vs, SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptolemny, May 13, 2010.

1. ptolemny

ptolemny

Jan 12, 2010
    California
    Hey, currently playing a Fender P through an SVT3Pro and an 810E. There's a CL on Craigslist dirt cheap and I'm thinking about getting it. I understand that the 3Pro has a very similar preamp to the CL, but it seems like the CL gets a lot of love around here while the 3Pro has its critics. Anyone have experience with both of these amps? Thanks.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My vote: if weight isn't an issue, then by all means go for the SVT-CL!

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've had the 3-Pro, and currently have a CL. They are two completely different animals. The 3-Pro is weak in every way by comparison. The magic lies in the all-tube power amp of the CL.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    CL.

5. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    How dirt cheap is the CL?

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    the CL is a BEAST compared to the 3pro.. BY FAAAAAAAAAAAARR!... but its a beast to carry around too... if youre young and strong.. get the CL.. you will not regret it.. Ive had THREE!!.. i keep getting em cos of how good they are, and keep sellin em cos i hate carrying them.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Your 810 is gonna sound the way it should sound with the CL, that 3-pro is doing nothing for that cab...

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If the CL is on CL, and is dirt cheap, it's probably already gone.

9. ptolemny

ptolemny

Jan 12, 2010
    California
    Dude just returned my message, he sold it last night - for $600. I should've posted this thread awhile ago; I'd been thinking about going all tube, specifically the CL, but I don't have the $ for a new one. I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    wow, too bad. $600 is outrageous!

btw, i 100% disagree with those who call the svt 3 pro weak. turn that gain up really far, and use your ears to tell if it's distorting and ignore the light. won't be weak anymore.

11. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Wow, I would have jumped on that like a lion on a wounded gazelle. I miss my CL, but I don't miss carrying it around, that's for dang sure!

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    $600 is a ridiculous price. Next time you see anything close to that, do not hesitate for a second.

I respect your opinion, Jimmy, but I respectfully disagree. The CL beats the 3-Pro in every category except bing easy to carry. Optimize the gain, push the volume slider on the graphic EQ section to max, etc., and it's still not up to par with the CL. I'm not saying the 3-Pro is a lousy amp, not at all. In fact, it's pretty darn good. It's just not as good as the CL. By quite a ways. *

*This statement is soley based on my my own experiences, and my preferences. YMMV.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well of course a tube svt is stronger than the 3 pro, eric! i just don't think it's weak compared to other hybrids. that's all i was saying. but yeah, compared to the cl or vr...

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Since the OP was asking about a comparison between the 3-Pro and a CL, I was actually staying on topic - LOL :)

15. ptolemny

ptolemny

Jan 12, 2010
    California
    So this won't hurt the amp or the cab? I'm conditioned to react very viscerally when I see a red light flash on my amp.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

It won't hurt the amp at all. As I recall, the manual says to set tone so that the red light is flashing on peaks. If I want overdrive, I set gain so that the red light stays on all the time.

The only thing that will hurt your cabinet is too much volume, but that's true whether the red light is flashing or not.

P.S. IME/IMO it sounds good to overdrive the tube section of the 3Pro, but not the graphic EQ section which is solid state. Because I used to run my 3Pro at high gain settings (as Jimmy mentioned), I would bypass the graphic EQ because it sounds godawful when it clips.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    nah, it'll be fine. don't react viscerally. react audibly.

:D