1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT4-Pro...Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Apr 5, 2006.

1. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Ive heard these have alot of problems.....any bad experiences here? Also, if i had a QSC PLX3002 with a SVP-Pro preamp, how would it compare to the SVT4? arent the preamps the same?

2. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Well both options are fine, the one with the QSC is lighter than the SVT4PRO.

3. the SVP-Pro is the same preamp from the SVT-2 Pro, not the SVT 4 Pro, also, the 4-Pro is tube driven mosfet whereas the SVP Pro and QSC wouldnt be

4. nevermind that last bit its the 3 Pro thats tube driven mosfet not the 4 Pro, my bad!

5. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've had my SVT-4Pro since 1997. It's seen no less than 1100 gigs in that time without a failure. To me, that's a very good track record!

6. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    From what I remember, the first batch of them that came out had some problems but since then, they've been fine.

7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The only problem I've heard about the 4 pro is that people can't seem to figure out and use a bridged speakon cord to the speaker cab when in bridged mode and then complain about it not being loud enough.
    I use the right cord and have had no problems with my 4 pro.

8. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    In my case the SVT-4 was not reliable.

When i tried the one atthe store before buying it, everything seemed to be working fine but when we tested both power amps, i found out that one of them was not working at all. So the guy went to get one from the backstore, tested it and everything was ok.

Until the first show. I played the show with no hitch but the day after when back at my place to rehearse, i plug in and start to play (i was using only one of the power amp) i suddenly hear this buzz, like a ground noise so i turn off the amp and turn back on and had less power. I compared with the other power amp and yes one of them had suddenly lost some power.

Never had a problem with the quality of sound though even if i had to EQ it unlike my DB750 i have now wich has better sound quality flat and more power.