SVT4 Pro vs GBE1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Just curious how these two monsters match up. They both have about the same power rating (though the GBE is supposedly more "realistic"), simillar features, and cost about the same (~$1200).

Anyone heard the two, either seperatly or side by side?
  2. The GBE600 can give the SVT4 a run for its money, regardless of what the numbers say. Let your ears be the judge on volume and tone. I can only imagine the 1200 is twice as good as the 600.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've played through several SVT4s with mixed results. Never heard anything from G-B, nor is it likely I will unless I buy a head mail order...
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, when you compare 2 heads that are statistically close to each other, you really just have to try them out. Its probably almost impossible for the GBE.

Anyone have an experience to share?
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Genz Benz is like GK on steroids... or GK with a boxing liscense. However you wanna look at it.

the GBE will blow the pants off the svt's mama.
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'd take the GBE 600 over the SVT4 any day and I have played both. It's a little cleaner sounding but it can get real fat, real loud, and you can always add some grit in front or in the loop. If the 600 is not as loud as the SVT4, it's pretty close. :cool:
  7. How is the GBE 600 for a solid rock tone? I know it's got the clean FET channel for slap, jazz, etc., but if I want to get really dirty and greasy (my tone, I mean :p), can the GBE 600 handle it?

Any input from people who own one would be appreciated.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If the GBE1200 is rated just like their other stuff, then it'll probably SMOKE the SVT4, which isn't as loud as I'd expect a 1200 watt head to be... :eyebrow:
  9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I'm seriously considering an Ampeg SVT4 Pro and I just saw this thread. I've never heard of Genz Benz but you guys seem to think a lot of them. If I understand you right, they are best for very clean sounds? That is perfect for me. Actually, I think I'm just gonna start a thread on this.