1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT4 pro vs SVT classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nfgrufio, Jul 29, 2007.

1. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    Hey all, I'm torn between the svt4 pro and the svt classic, I am currently running a gibson ripper through the svt4 pro and an ampeg 810 cab. I have no problem with my setup but I'm constantly hearing all kinds of good stuff about the svt classic. Should I switch them out and go with the classic? I know that with the svt4, ill never have any problems being heard but would I have any problems with the classic? At only 300 watts, will that ever not be enough(not like I'm playing arenas or anything)? Anyone have any suggestions for me? Although I haven't actually played my gear through a classic yet, I'm still curious...

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Easy decision. If weight is no concern, get the Classic! Unless you're biamping or running stereo signals I see no need for the 4Pro over the Classic. I have a 4Pro, a 3Pro, used to have a V4b, and I just sold a 6Pro. The 4Pro is by far my least favorite of the four. I'm actually gonna take it back to the store Monday.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're happy with the tone and volume from the SVT4Pro, keep it. BUT, if you want to expirience real tube tone, I mean REAL TUBE TONE, by all means, get the SVT CL. The 300 watts through your 8x10 will have volume to spare, and your warm classic bass tone will be second to none. Once you play through one, you'll know what to do. Have fun.

4. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    When you say easy decision, go with the classic, does that mostly mean tone wise? or are there any other concerns?

5. Hey man, I use the Classic and I love it. It's a great sounding amp and it's very simple. I think 300 tube watts is probably equal to or greater than 1000 solid state watts. I'm sure somebody on here smarter than I am can explain why that is.

6. If you like tube "Grit" or color, get the SVT classic if you like a clean sound stick with the svt-4, the classic may be louder or the same as the svt-4 but it won't be clean.

7. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    I actually thought it was the other way around, svt4 with the gritty sound while the all tube offered the clean warmer sound, am I wrong?

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You are wrong. The SVT can do clean and very gritty. The SVT-4 is a solid state amp and no matter how hard it tries with drive knobs, you can't get a gritty tone...it always sounds fake.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Ha! How did I know you'd chime in with that!!??

Definitely try out the SVT CL before you buy. It's a totally different sound. PS..they aren't all that heavy...sure it's not a light weight amp, I can carry mine around without too much trouble, and I'm no linebacker!!

10. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    If you have ever thought the SVT4 was a pain to move, don't even think about the classic. Go to your local apmeg dealer who has a classic and pick it up and walk 200-300 feet adn see how you like it. Then set it down and pick it up again, then plug it in and see if your fingers feel like playing bass.

Also, if you are looking to use it live then try and use the SVT4 and the classic next to each other in a band setting. the differance in my opinion is very small.

Jonathan

11. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    Keep your eyes open for an old V4 or V4B. They can be had for less than $500 usually. This way you can have the pure tube tone when you need/want it (and at more reasonable volume levels), and have the 4 Pro for when you actually need to do gigs.

The 4 Pro is an incredibly versatile amp, and like JonathanD said, you aren't really going to be able to tell the difference in a full band mix. And no one in the audience will be able to tell the difference.

Unless you have someone who works with you constantly doing sound and who knows how to mic and mix your rig and dial in "your" tone every time, regardless of the sound system and the room -- the 4 Pro is a much more forgiving amp when you are dealing with random sound guys and sound systems.

12. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Amen. Live sound is not an exercise in record production, that's for sure. This is why I rely on my pedalboard for the majority of my sound. By the time I send a direct out, it is how I want to sound. My cab is so we can hear me on stage.

13. the classic won't stay clean to the same volume that the SVT-4 will, but if you like a bit of grit, then that won't be a problem :)

14. Get the classic. They are great amps. great tone, and heaps of power. I have an svt-av, which is the same as the classic and i love it.

Makes me want to practice.

15. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Not even close to the same head. Very different sounding, and very different design.

I have since been corrected, sorry!

16. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The SVT-CL and SVT-AV are the same excluding exterior cosmetics (grille cloth). You are probably thinking of the SVT-VR.

17. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yup, you're right. My apologies!