Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT4-Pro with the Mesa Boogie 1516b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Dec 13, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    Im currently using mono-bridged output with speakon to the cab.

For some background on the cab, it is the Mesa/Boogie 1516b rated at 400watts.

I have an option to either hook it up with one sigle 4 ohm input or power each seperately top peice (high end) and bottom (15") at 2ohms.

what would be the best way to hook this up? i've read the manual and am a little confused. It works fine using bridged-mono to the one input but I'm assuming I can more control over my high end, and low end by splitting the power output to the top end and low end.

any suggestions would be appriciated.

the SVT4-Pro is rated at 1600 watts.

2. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    nobody can help me?!

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If you can use it as 4 ohms "full range" and 2 ohms per channel split high and low, theoretically you get as much power each way........BUT

That assumes you use the same amount of power in whatever that speaker has as its "highs" range vs in its "lows" range.

I have found most biamp setups to be a little disappointing vs more power applied to a good full range cabinet.

The good side of biamping is that you are supposedly reducing the effect of clipping of the low end (where most of the power demand, and thus clipping usually is). It doesn't affect the highs, they are on a separate amplifier channel, and so the harmonics are isolated into a speaker that probably won't reproduce them obnoxiously.

The bad side is that you never get to use the power that is "assigned" to the highs for your lows....... so you clip more....

Full range, you get to use all your power for whatever is going on right now.... be that lows. or a string pop, or whatever.

BTW, the SVT-4PRO is 1200W "rms".... catalog rating.

The 1600W number is a "pulse" power (NOT "peak") rating..... It's the equivalent "rms" for the largest unclipped "pop" of open low string (40Hz). Yeah, its an odd rating.....

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    im still confused.

do i use the mono-bridged into the 4 ohms, or should i split it to the top and bottom at 2 ohms

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Try it both ways and see how you like each..... that's why there is an option for biamp and mono, etc.....

I think mono into a 4 ohm cab, if the speaker can handle the amp power, is probably more useful. I'd try that first, but your mileage may vary.

Are you sure the cabinet is 2 ohms for each part but 4 ohms together?