svt4 vs svt6? vs 400+ /dead svt6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 6, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ok, forgetting about the bi-amp capabilities, and just from a tone point of view, does anyone have direct experience with both of these (the svt's) & care to comment on the differences?

by the way, my svt6 died on me a month after i had it...cut to about 1/4 the volume. i assume it's a couple of

I was thining of replacing the svt6pro with an svt4pro...good idea?badidea?

or the other option is a mesa 400+ comments?

what i can't seem to find out is if the 400+ has a mte pedal input on the back (for tuning).. or a tune output...anyone know?
  2. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Nope, no tuner output
  3. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    could you use one of the fx loops or the preamp out for a tuner? i assume so... what about a mute?
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Aren't those SVT -4 and 6 amps Tube-Hybrid amps? Tubes in the Pre-amp section and Solid-State for the power amp? The Mesa is a full tube amp. I imagine that they would sound totally different. To me, Ampeg has a sorta mid-scoop sound. This is from just playing them in the store. I like it. The Mesa is a very clean tube amp...not well known to get really dirty-gritty, although you can overdrive it, if you want. Those are just my takes on them
  5. Ampeg sound is mid boosted

The 400+ is all tube, why not look at ampeg all tube heads too?
  6. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    IMO - Bad idea! The SVT-6 sounds better, videlicet if you like tube-like sound.
  7. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    and the 400+? how does that compare to the svt6?
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The tuner would be fine in the FX loop. The 400+ doesn't have a footswitchable mute, but if you don't use the graphic EQ you can make a mute out of it by having every freq. set to 0, and the EQ is footswitchable. In my opinion, the 400+ is simply out of the other heads league, but I would say the 6-Pro sounds better than the 4-Pro. The 400+ can be more hi-fi and is much more versitle than the Pegs, and I think much warmer. The 6-Pro does sound more like a tube amp than the 4-Pro does, and I think, save the 2-Pro and CL, the 6-Pro is the best sounding head Ampeg makes.