svt4 vs svt6? vs 400+ /dead svt6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 6, 2006.

1. ok, forgetting about the bi-amp capabilities, and just from a tone point of view, does anyone have direct experience with both of these (the svt's) & care to comment on the differences?

by the way, my svt6 died on me a month after i had it...cut to about 1/4 the volume. i assume it's a couple of tubes...fyi

I was thining of replacing the svt6pro with an svt4pro...good idea?badidea?

or the other option is a mesa 400+ comments?

what i can't seem to find out is if the 400+ has a mte pedal input on the back (for tuning).. or a tune output...anyone know?

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Nope, no tuner output

3. could you use one of the fx loops or the preamp out for a tuner? i assume so... what about a mute?

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Aren't those SVT -4 and 6 amps Tube-Hybrid amps? Tubes in the Pre-amp section and Solid-State for the power amp? The Mesa is a full tube amp. I imagine that they would sound totally different. To me, Ampeg has a sorta mid-scoop sound. This is from just playing them in the store. I like it. The Mesa is a very clean tube amp...not well known to get really dirty-gritty, although you can overdrive it, if you want. Those are just my takes on them

5. Ampeg sound is mid boosted

The 400+ is all tube, why not look at ampeg all tube heads too?

6. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    IMO - Bad idea! The SVT-6 sounds better, videlicet if you like tube-like sound.

7. and the 400+? how does that compare to the svt6?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The tuner would be fine in the FX loop. The 400+ doesn't have a footswitchable mute, but if you don't use the graphic EQ you can make a mute out of it by having every freq. set to 0, and the EQ is footswitchable. In my opinion, the 400+ is simply out of the other heads league, but I would say the 6-Pro sounds better than the 4-Pro. The 400+ can be more hi-fi and is much more versitle than the Pegs, and I think much warmer. The 6-Pro does sound more like a tube amp than the 4-Pro does, and I think, save the 2-Pro and CL, the 6-Pro is the best sounding head Ampeg makes.