Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2s03285, Jan 28, 2005.

1. 2s03285

2s03285

Jan 28, 2005
    i recently bought an svt-4 pro, along with an 8X10. Im getting frustrated, as ive been messing with the EQ forever now (not the graphic eq), and still cant get it to sound the way i want. Im not super-experience with eq settings, so if anyone could post suggestions/links to useful information, id appreciate. thanks!

2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've had my SVT-4 Pro since 1997 and here is what I do.

Bass control at 2 o'clock
    Mid control at 10 o'clock
    Mid selector in middle position (12 o'clock)
    Treble at 4 o'clock
    Don't push in any of the tone control buttons except the Graphic EQ button. Shape the Graphic Eq slightly into a smiley face. Like this :)

That's how I do it. Make sure the amp is in bridged mono, with the correct speakon cable.

Good luck!

3. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I don't have the 4 but I do have a 3 Pro. Recently, I purchased a new cabinet to gig through. Well, when I set up the 3 with the new cab, the settings for the other cab I was playing through sounded really bad.

So, I decided I would start from scratch. I sat down with my favorite bass in front of the amp and slowy set it up for the sound I was looking for:

First, Set everything flat

Second, Adjust your gain and master for an acceptable volume level

Third, Set the frequency knob to an acceptable setting (this will make a huge difference between different types of cabinets)

Fourth, Like the earlier poster, do not activate any of the high or low boost buttons

Fifth, Work with one setting at a time, making small adjustments and then add other adjustments to try to see a difference.

The settings that the above poster recommended sound familiar and will give you a good tone. However, tone is subjective and it is a very good learning experience to set down with the amp and experiment.

With my 3 Pro the owners manual suggests some baseline settings which are a good start. If you do not have the manual, you can download the manual (in PDF format) from the Ampeg site. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and/or print the document.

Bottom line: I find it best to find an acceptable sound first with everything flat and make small adjustments as needed.

Hope this helps
    Good luck!