Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2s03285, Jan 28, 2005.

1. 2s03285

Jan 28, 2005
    i recently bought an svt-4 pro, along with an 8X10. Im getting frustrated, as ive been messing with the EQ forever now (not the graphic eq), and still cant get it to sound the way i want. Im not super-experience with eq settings, so if anyone could post suggestions/links to useful information, id appreciate. thanks!
  2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've had my SVT-4 Pro since 1997 and here is what I do.

Bass control at 2 o'clock
    Mid control at 10 o'clock
    Mid selector in middle position (12 o'clock)
    Treble at 4 o'clock
    Don't push in any of the tone control buttons except the Graphic EQ button. Shape the Graphic Eq slightly into a smiley face. Like this :)

That's how I do it. Make sure the amp is in bridged mono, with the correct speakon cable.

Good luck!
  3. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I don't have the 4 but I do have a 3 Pro. Recently, I purchased a new cabinet to gig through. Well, when I set up the 3 with the new cab, the settings for the other cab I was playing through sounded really bad.

So, I decided I would start from scratch. I sat down with my favorite bass in front of the amp and slowy set it up for the sound I was looking for:

First, Set everything flat

Second, Adjust your gain and master for an acceptable volume level

Third, Set the frequency knob to an acceptable setting (this will make a huge difference between different types of cabinets)

Fourth, Like the earlier poster, do not activate any of the high or low boost buttons

Fifth, Work with one setting at a time, making small adjustments and then add other adjustments to try to see a difference.

The settings that the above poster recommended sound familiar and will give you a good tone. However, tone is subjective and it is a very good learning experience to set down with the amp and experiment.

With my 3 Pro the owners manual suggests some baseline settings which are a good start. If you do not have the manual, you can download the manual (in PDF format) from the Ampeg site. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and/or print the document.

Bottom line: I find it best to find an acceptable sound first with everything flat and make small adjustments as needed.

Hope this helps
    Good luck!