Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johans, Feb 17, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    guys,

just a quick question about this ampeg svt4

as far as i know isnt this amp capable of pushing 1600W? i didnt see it from the power ratings section, could it be by doing mono-bridge on a 2 ohm cab?

thanks

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    No... that'll just create a horrifying Nuclear explosion, that will only be felt and heard by the bass players of this world....

3. The 4Pro can put out 1200 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load (bridged mono). You would need to put a two 8 ohm cabs on it to achieve this - this will result in each power amp seeing a 2 ohm load. You could alternately switch the amp over into dual mono operation (NOT BRIDGED!!) and attach a 2 ohm cab to each power amp. This would result in each amp seeing a 2 ohm load, and each cab egtting 600 watts RMS. The 1600 watt rating is only peak power - not RMS.

4. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    thanks wolfstein :)

5. No prob - I used to own a 4Pro - if you have any detailed questions I'd be happy to help - just PM!

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Woofenstein is correct.

The general rule on bridge mono is that you can bridge a load of twice the per-channel minimum.

In the case of the SVT-4PRO, the per-channel minimum is 2 ohms (as pointed out) so the bridged minimum is 4 ohms.

7. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    okay guys :)

now ... at 4ohms svt4 will blow 490W x 2 stereo ..

now i ordered a 4ohm avatar B410, planning to add another one later on ... an avatar will handle 1400W ... if later only feed 490W will it be underpowered?

well as of now isnt a problem since i will feed it with mono-bridged

thanks

8. I doubt you'll run into any problems - especially if when you're running the 410 at 490 watts you'll also have ANOTHER running the same wattage - you'll be fine! PS - I used to run a 4Pro + 2 x Avatar B210 - it was a great setup and very loud - those Avatars are voiced to get you heard. Mine were 8 ohm, and I was running dual mono so I was only doing 600 watts between the pair. No probs on volume!

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There's no such thing as underpowering a cab. The only thing you can underpower for, is a gig. :)

Ray

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You could also get an 8ohm Avatar and run it mono-bridged. That would put out 900Watts, and the B212 or B410 would easily handle that.