Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT410HLF!! ITS HERE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Oct 5, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    It just arrived.. Well actually, it arrived at 3:48pm to someone else's apartment. (4th floor mind you, i live in a house. How the hell did UPS get so dumb to bring something that big to the wrong place, and let alone, drop it off on the 4th floor.)

Anyway, its beautiful. I feel, just standing in front of it, like there is a tank of tone that can shake my whole house. I can't play it yet, because I don't have speakon wires yet to connect it to my iAMP500. Where can I get these wires? Does it have to be a music store? Or can I go to say, Radio Shack or something?

So here's what is in my possesion:
    Everything in my signature except the new Black Pearloid pickguard for my Kingston 5 (which i put new T.I. strings on.)

Once I have the pickguard on the bass, I will take a family picture of my whole set-up, and you can all critique and comment (or make fun of).. lol . BUT I AM SO HAPPY I HAVE THE MONSTER IN MY HOUSE!

Full review when I get it hooked up tomorrow.

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    And another question..

When I get my speakon wires, the SVT410HLF has 2 speakon inputs, one is 1+ , the other 1- , (left and right).. do I want to hook my AMP up to the left one or the right one?

3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Actually, the 1+ and 1- refer to the pins of the speakon that you hook to if you make a cable, or to the fact that you want a "mono" type cable if you buy one. see footnote

You should be able to plug into either speakon receptacle on the cabinet. I assume the Iamp is mono, in which case you can use any speakon it has too.

footnote:

Standard Speakons have 4 terminals , labeled 1+, 1- 2+ and 2-

For mono and stereo, 1+ and 1- are usually used for either channel.

If you have a biamp unit, 1+ and 1- are for lows, and 2+ 2- for highs.

For bridge mono, to avoid possible problems, there often is a jack wired only to 1+ and 2+. So you wire a bridge mono cable that way at the amp end

That way you can't dope off and send huge power to a cabinet that can't handle it just by plugging into the wrong receptacle.

The wiring above is the Neutrik recommendation, and I think is now an AES standard also. That does NOT mean that some compaies might not do it their own way just because..........

4. The SVT410HLF also has two 1/4" jack sockets, use them if you havnt got the speakon lead. I had the SVT610HLF but found it too boomy and dark sounding, loads of bass but didnt cut through in band, now have svt410he and svt15e which work better. The SVT410HLF, 610 HLF are deep ported cabs and sound nothing like the SVT810 which is a non ported cab loads of mid range punch.
    Hope you enjoy the cab, its only a 4ohm cab so be careful if you buy a second cab etc

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Man, do I know what your feeling. I am still so appreciative and proud of my SVT410HLF that it is still sitting in the living room after two months. Wife hates it there but that's where it gets the most attention. It's my daily reminder that life could always be worse. My point? I love my HLF. It's sound, volume and appearance. It's not only my favorite cab, it makes one proud to be a bass player! Just wait until you plug it in, turn it up and throw it's magical air. But, I would warn any neighbors you like in advance. Enjoy! :hyper:

6. Sweet! I just got a 410HLF also... Tried it for the first time w/ my band on Sunday - rocked hard w/ a 3Pro! Great cab!

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Hey bassampegman,

I just got a 610HLF for use with my THunderfunk. I may agree with you! I have to experiment more before I have my final decision though (I've only used the setup at one practice and one gig). The cab is solid and looks cool (plus is very loud). I'm just not sure I like it better than my Eden 210XLT 118XL setup. I actually might have to run the (always sounding good flat) Thunderfunk with some eq! :eek:

As for the SVT series cabs with the MTD Kingston-I have a Kingston 5 (fretted) that I actually like with the tone almost all the way down with the Ampeg. Must be that thump!

Lync

8. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Yea, the Kingston does have some thump with the tone down.. But you wanna talk about Thump!! The Traben has more thump than ATKs , I mean when I pluck the string you almost get a feeling like a drum bass is being hit at the same time, even when the bass isn't all the way cranked. I wish everyone could try out Trabens, cuz they are awsome.

But back to the Kingston, I like the tone on halfway, a little bass with alot more mids. These Kingston's are MID-range monsters. With the tone all the way up, it sounds really middy, and high, with little to no bass. So right in the middle is 'my tone'.

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    oh yea, I posted a clip of the Kingston in the basses forum.

10. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    That's awesome, my svt 410 hlf came in last week, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've only used it at one practice so far, but we have a decent sized gig coming up this Saturday, so I'll really get a chance to use it to it's full potential then. Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine! -Brad

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Have had one for about 3 years (had 2 of em for 2 years), and have been very happy with it.

But, now I am bored with the same old stuff so I am looking for something different. Yay. :meh:

12. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Hi Guys:

I have a Speakon to 1/4" cable and have been reading about the different configurations of the Speakon......when looking at it, I can't see how it's set up inside, and when I took the retaining ring off I still can't determine the setup. Please help with advice! Thanks!