Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT4PRO Cutting Out...PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biergott, Feb 7, 2002.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I have an SVT4PRO that is about 2-3 years old (I can't remember) I am running a PR15H and a PR410H. I have never had a problem until recently. The last couple practices, the amp has cut out. I cuts out for short and long periods of time, during which I can hear the fan clicking on and off. The peak and limit lights still blink while there is no sounds coming out, so I know the head is still getting signal. I am not running at any higher power than I used to (actually a bit less gain and master than normal.)

Any ideas or pointers?

Also, on a side note:
    I play in a band with two treble hungry guitars. For the most volume with my current setup, would you recommend running the amp bridged and the cabs in series, or the amp in stereo with each power amp dedicated to a speaker?

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont know why your amp is cutting out, but I would recommend that you run your amp biamped with full range going to your 4x10 and just the lows going to your 15.

You can find out how to hook this up on page 13 of this .pdf file: (requires Adobe Acrobat)
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-4PRO.PDF

If you don't want to biamp it, then I suggest running the amp bridged and daisy chaining your cabinets.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't know why it would be cutting out either. If it is only 2-3 years old, it should still be under warranty, so I would take it in and get it checked out.

I am running mine into 2 SVT410HLF's. I run mine in dual mono, sending full range signals to each cab. I have never tried biamping, as I have 2 4x10 cabs, so it wouldn't make much sense for me to do that. Anyways, I am pushing about 600 watts to each cab, and I have no problem being heard (or being overpowering, if I am so inclined)

Ryan

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Take advantage of that 5 year warranty and get it looked at. Just had my 10 year old Ampeg SVT 200T in for a check up ($35) and its back to sounding great again (as usual) :D

5. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Thank you for the input. I hope I can dig up the receipt (all of my last band's equipment was purchsed at once, so I will have to track down the evil guitar player).

If anyone else has any ideas as to why this might be happening, I'll keep checking this thread...

6. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've used SVT-4's for the last 4 years. Great amp, and VERY reliable. I had a similar situation, and it was actually one of my speakers on the verge of crapping out.

I suggest you try a different cabinet. Also try stereo mode and bridge mode, and see if the problem continues.

Good luck!

Nick

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This may be a dumb idea, but check your speaker cables.

8. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. I use heavey gauge speakons, and also tried brand new 1/4 to 1/4 speaker cables. So that I would know that is wasn't the jacks or he cables.

Does anyone know a number to call to troubleshoot Ampegs or get advice over the phone? I called Ampeg and they simply referred me to a local service center. When I called there, the guy barely spoke English and didn't even want to know what was wrong. He just asked me to bring it in with a $30 check for "inspection fees."

9. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Try calling 1-800-738-7563.

They should be able to help.

Good luck!

Nick

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I believe there's a troubleshooting section in the instruction manual that could help you. Otherwise, if you bought it from Guitar Center, they might give you a whole new amp.

My little brother got a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier head a couple months ago, and one of the tubes mysteriously crapped out. He took it to Guitar Center and asked if he could get a new 12AX7 or something for it, and they just said, "Hey, we'll give you a whole new amp! No problem!"

Thats one good thing about GC. :p