Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT4PRO line out noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Jan 26, 2003.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Greetings

I have a SVT4PRO with a BXT410 cabinet. I was in different gigs playing, and the first time that i connect the SVT to the mixing console using the XLR line out connection, the sound guy tells me that there is a high frequency noise. The only way to fixed was using a direct box and unbalanced line out.

If there somebody outhere having this problem, please help me out to fixed.

thanks
    DV:(

2. Yah, I have the same problem. I can't record with my Ampeg SVP preamp because it buzzes too much.

3. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Did you ask Ampeg tech for this?

Is this usual in Ampeg amps?
    What did you do to fix it??:confused:

4. This is because of a ground potential between the amp/preamp and and the console. It's easily remedied by using an XLR ground lift adapter (pin 1 not connected on one side (usually the male end). Most sensible sound people should have a few around. If not, make one of your own. Ampeg should have included a ground lift switch, though...

5. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    You mean a direct box??

Then, why Ampeg put a XLR line if I have to buy a direct box??:mad:

6. Not a direct box, an adapter cable with the ground pin not connected. It's a pretty standard item. The problem's not specifically with the amp or the console, it's more of a function of power distribution in buildings and electrical behavior. I agree that Ampeg should have put in a switch to provide that function in the xlr output section, though.

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Where can I buy this cable?
    ANy electronic music store??

Or I have to build it by myself?:confused:

8. I'd think most music stores would carry them.

9. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    thanks I will check:)

A power conditioner can fix this??

10. I wouldn't count on a power conditioner fixing this.

The ground lift, well try it, but I'm betting on the preamp tubes.

11. Er0

Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    you should have your cab miked otherwise there really is no point in having a cab there in the first place