1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Svt4Pro Live Sound Options/Setts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jessejms03, Sep 7, 2008.

1. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    Just got a Ampeg SVT4-Pro! I mono-bridged to a 410hlf and it sounds great with many tone options. I have been able to get a sounds that fit swith my band really well.

Question is....to replicate that sound live, is my best bet the balanced line out jack with pre/mono? As opposed to a mic (challenging in many ways), the SansAmp bass driver or such etc...
    I want to take full advantage of this setup.
    Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bah...a mic's not challenging. I've gotten fantastic mic'ed cab sounds in seconds with a Shure 57 or 58 dead center on a cone. But you can also use the amp's DI and that would at least get the sound of the amp into the PA. I prefer sending a post-EQ signal because I basically run amps flat, but it might be a better idea to send a pre-EQ signal if you use extreme tone settings. A Sansamp won't get the tone of your amp, but if you're getting a tone you like out of it, you can easily send a DI from it as well.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Agree with above post. Mic'ing a bass cab is no more difficult than a guitar amp.

4. The EQ settings on your amp head sound how you want them to when plugged into your cab - however those EQ settings may sound quite different when plugged into a different cab, or when you send the direct out to the PA. I would say that a mic would do a better job of getting your sound to the PA since it will picking up the tone coming out of your cab.

5. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    The DI of this thing keeps me more than happy!

Let's face it, The sound from your AMP/CAB will never be the same through PA-speakers.

IMO, to replicate your sound onto live situations, use the DI, preEQ. if you got the time, and if it's worth the hassle, mic it aswell!

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think that would give you the soundman's sound.

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I usually mic my cab when I play live, as it cuts down on a lot of string noise and picks up most of the cab's natural tone. Back when I had an SVT4-Pro, I ran it to an early 90's Ampeg 8x10 and always miked the cab, and it sounded awesome. People complain about the 4-Pro being quiet, but I never found that to be the case. I've owned both the 4-Pro and the SVT-CL, and both maxed out at around the same output.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It helps alot if you show up to the gig with your own mic and a mini stand and cable. That way, you just hand him the mic cord, AND a DI. Especially if you go into it with a freindly attitude, most sound guys can be pretty cool.

9. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    without starting the "soundman" thread again....

I have found that a di lined gives the soundman total control of the sound. Also found that soundmen sometimes seem reluctant to mike a cab, as they do guitars, and ofter seem inconvienced by it.

I am assuming post eq would be preferable to pre but it depends on the quality of the tone/amp?

10. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    thats a great response...like a shure 57 or? Then he can mix both di and mic signals as needed. Good comprimise

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Then they should get out of the business. Most soundmen love it when I ask to run a mic. I've worked with a few that don't, but if you bring your own mic/stand, they'll usually do it without too much hassle.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    If i'm playing a big venue where we are getting pa support i talk to the sound guy first. I tell him what I have and what I would prefer, but if it makes his job easier then I can do whatever he wants.

I prefer running the di out on my sans amp. because it's a little gritty and has some low end to it. to things i like my sound to have. i'd prefer to get mic'd because thats my end all, be all tone. but whatever makes the sound guy happy i go with, because if you argue, you're just going to sound like crap when he turns the suck button way up.

13. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    I saw a pic somewhere that had a mic holder that was attached to the rig but I cant find it anywhere...?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
  15. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    thats the one. thanks J

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    in a perfect world I would bring my mic/mini stand but thats just one more thing to set up/tear down.

17. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    seems like a soundman might be more willing to mic if you supplied a mic/stand and were ready to go. Make it easy for them.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
  19. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    i was thinking between rack and cab upsidedown. Way cool

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah but if i rout out an area, then i can just take down my skb and break it down once i pull all my stuff off stage.