1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Svt4pro- running passive sub biamped on stage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEMS854, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Svt-810e

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 410hlf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DEMS854

DEMS854

Jul 15, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    hello all, first time poster, long time reader.

I've been in the market for a new bass rig (my peavey 210tx combo ain't cutting it anymore, ddt limiter is virtually on all the time at rehearsal volume). I have found two great deals in my area as an upgrade. 1) svt-4pro w/ 410hlf
    2)svt-4pro w/ svt 810e
    The svt 4pro is totally capable of smoking both of these cabs in an instant if not operated properly. From what i have read, the low frequencies tend to contribute to this nearly as much as getting overzealous with the volume knob. Which brings us to my question.

Could/should I run a sub off the amp as well while biamped?

anyone have any input on running the svt-4pro biamped, since it has two power amps, with one side going to either the 410hlf or svt810, and the other side going to a passive subwoofer, then using the crossover to send anything below 60hz to the sub; Hopefully thereby keeping the sound of the midrange a little bit tighter and possibly limiting the risks of burning out the drivers in the 410 or 810.

I am buying one of these two setups this week, I was more or less curious if anyone had considered pairing a subwoofer with their rig on stage.

I play a six string that is tuned stupid low for drop c (yeah, you guessed it, metal band). Low to high it is tuned GCGCFBb. I ordered a set of fat ass Kalium strings that keeps everything from getting floppy at such low frequencies on a 35" scale.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have tried something similar.

Thankyou!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Just getting a Low B cleanly can be a trick. The lowest I ever tuned my sixes was A on the “B” string, Blues band. Luckily my Acme cabinets could handle that tuning without complaint. I would never dream of adding a dedicated subwoofer to my system.

3. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Svt4 / 810e !:thumbsup:

Neither of your choices would need or likely even benefit from adding a sub.

4. DEMS854

DEMS854

Jul 15, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    Well, the I'm going to try out the 410hlf deal in two hours. Seems like a better owner from phone conversations I've had. I've got the GAS bad and at $200 less than the other offering, it may follow me home. Hopefully I don't get the buyers remorse haha

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Wow, low G tuning is low indeed! I have no experience with notes that low so I would assume a sub would be in order. The 4 pro running bridged with the 8x10 is a kick butt rig by itself. Perhaps you could use the preamp out to a separate power amp with crossover running the sub.

DEMS854 and BasturdBlaster like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My opinion: while you can certainly use a very low tuned bass with an 810e (I've done it and love it), it sounds to me like you would probably appreciate the extra lows of a 410hlf. You wouldn't need a sub if you have one of them as it goes as low as most subs. And since it sounds like you're going to be stupid loud, you would probably rather have two. Even though they take 500w before they fart out (1000w before they blow), there's definitely a possibility of blowing them with a 4 Pro, but if you use your ears and think with the big head and not the little one :D it'll work.

I would also go Heritage if you can swing it. I've AB'd them side by side and the Heritage is definitely a better sounding cab. If not, I'd try to get newer ones made after 2010 or 2011. Around that time, they were tweaked to make them less boomy with more mids. They still have the same crazy low end response, but the older versions were mudbombs while the newer ones actually have tone.

DEMS854 likes this.
  7. DEMS854

DEMS854

Jul 15, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    I ended up scooping it up after I played it. Pretty happy overall. Rack, amp, rack mount tuner (actually registers low g), and the 410hlf for $800. Super clean, no noise. I can dig it. Seems to handle everything I can dish out pretty well. Im going to hook up our pa sub and biamp it for giggles and see if it adds anything.

Attached Files:

Thummel, BasturdBlaster and JimmyM like this.
  8. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Doesn't get any better than that!drool