Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me if these puppies are in production yet? I see they have put it up on the website, so I assume they are making them?

Out of interest, if there is anyone from Ampeg out there, why have they not given the SVT6 the ability to handle a 2 ohm load?
  2. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Yes, these are in production. A friend of mine recently purchased one and was bragging to me about how good it sounded.

As for your second question, it could be any number of reasons, but if you have a single, decent sized 4 ohm cabinet, 1100 watts is all you will need.
  3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The 6PRO is internally bridged, so actually, it is already two "2-ohm capable" amps working together.
  4. Then why haven't they given us the option to run it as two separate amps like the SVT4?
  5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Because it isn't a "stereo" head, not biampable, etc.

It is two amps internally because that gives the ability to get the power level without changing to a different poweramp type, different mosfets, changes to the tube-driven design, etc, etc.

Does it really matter to you HOW the amp is set up internally to get to the power it has?

It is an amp, it does what it does, like it, hate it, buy it, burn it.
  6. It doesn't really bother me, but it just seems that seeing as it is already 2 amps, it would be nice to have the flexability that the SVT4 offers via the biamp.
  7. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Then get an SVT 4 if you want those features. Ampeg is obviously offering different products for different people. Use your power to choose.
  8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I wanted to add another hateful, snide comment, but I couldn't think of any that haven't been used in this thread yet.

Aside from that,I have nothing useful to add.
  9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I totally understand. It DOES make sense...........

However, you have just discovered that product disease known as "feature creep"......

That's how a simple amp gets complicated and more expensive because "well its almost all there now, all you have to do is add XXXX and think how nice that extra functionality would be".

You KNOW it doesn't stop there, something else is "so close" and that "has to be" added..... and then this other thing too...... before you know it your bass amp looks like an analog synth.

At some time you have to say "its done", shoot the marketing folks, the engineers, and ship product!

Now, if the higher power versions of the tube driven mosfet design (like SVT-6PRO) were to get pretty popular, I bet that subject would come up again. And it might get saluted
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ampeg have built in breasts these days.
  11. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I played through one at my local music store last weekend for about an hour. By the time I was done playing, I was gassing for it really bad!
  13. Hmmm... Interesting how so many people seemed to take offence to my statements?

I wasn't actually slagging the Ampeg - in fact I am looking at possibly getting an SVT6 and I knew there were some guys on TB that work there, so I was just looking for more info as to why they've built the amp the way they have...

Thank you Jerrold for your help.