1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT810 Vintage or New?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by betardfoosier, May 10, 2011.

1. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    Are the Ampeg 810 cabs one of those things where the old cabs are better, or are the newer (pre-China) cabs just as good? Just wondering because there are both later models, and a 1975 for sale in my area. Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the post-china cabs are a lot better than the usa cabs from 2000-2005 imho, because the speakers are too dark. the 1975-80 cabs are very sweet, but the power handling is pretty low, probably closer to 400w than the current 800w. the 69-74 flatback cabs are the real prizes of the vintage 810's. the cts speakers in them are primo sounding, even if they only handle 250w (i would debate that that is all they handle, but they definitely don't handle too much more than that...still, plenty for my needs). but all svt 810 cabs sound great except for those 2000-2005 cabs.

so in your situation, i'd take the 75, but throw a newer chinese 810e into the mix and i might change my mind.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    jimmym knows his stuff when it comes to what he says about ampeg stuff. for me Id take the newer one just because I have modern amps and non of them handle the lower wattages...