svtcl and 810 issue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheNightLife, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hey guys i have an ampeg svtcl and an ampeg svt810 and lately ive been going for more of a tube driven sound. kinda p bass with a pick tone but really pushing the power section to get the grit i want. the bass i use is a mia p with quarter pounders and no matter what i set the bass on the amp at it farts. the settings on my amp are flat except a little added treble. the gain is on 3 and the master is on 7. is it my cab thats clipping or is it the head? any help is greatly appreciated.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    this all depends on what year your 810 was made. up until the mid-90's, the best you could get into an 810 was 400w, and cranking the power section of an svt can give you up to about 700w in peak power. a newer cab should be able to take it, though, since their rating is a legit 800w.

it's very possible you're mistaking distortion for farting, but it's ultra-tough to tell without being there or at least knowing more about your cab. i'm tempted to think it's coming from the amp if the cab was made post-1996.

3. its a usa cab. its relatively new id say early 2000's. the cab is very dark sounding though. the highs just dont seem to be there with any head i use. i was thinking about getting rid of it for an aguilar 810 but im not sure yet. lol what do you think jimmym? i just want to make sure theres nothing wrong with the head.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i hate the early 2000's cabs for that exact reason. they were made with osb and the speakers are really dark. the newer ones loud has been making are a great improvement tonally, plus they use real plywood. not tried the aggies, but they're ported so i'd expect something a little different than the ampegs.

5. yea i really want to get rid of this cab it sounds pretty bad. ive played on an aguilar db810 and was very impressed with it. the frequency response was huge. i think i might pull the trigger on one but i gotta get rid of this cab first. if i dont im gonna have 3 810's sitting around not being used.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think Jimmys advice is right on, but you might just find a VT pedal would make an improvement with your old cab.
    I'm not ashamed to admit I pretty much always prefer one with my blueline SVT and SVT-II unless I'm somewhere I can really crank it up.

7. well i usually play at places were i can get a decent volume on stage to ge the sound i want. i have a vt pedal and i tried it at lower volumes and it was close but wasnt 100 percent what i wanted.

8. If you can get your hands on an Aguilar S810 ... those were sealed too, if I am not mistaken, but they are out of production so you got to be lucky with the classifieds

9. those are rear ported. lol i looked into those too but didnt like that the frequency response only goes to 3.3k

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021