1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVTVR/used oldie -vs- Eden 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bishop55, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I've been reading through the posts here and at the Eden site, and am having a tough time deciding. Truth is, I know I love the SVT. I love the tonal possibilities with it. I'm playing through a 72 that belongs to mu buddy right now and its all grins. I can buy a used VR for around $1300 and there are deals on used old black lines in the area of $1200 and up...mostly up.

On the other hand, I played through an Eden 300T and it sounds decent. The overdrive is a bit wack, but I'm not so into that anymore. I can hear that it is NOT the SVT, but I know I can get a decent sound out of the Eden and it's so damn cheap! Like $800 right now. Is the SVT worth the price difference?

I'm playing 4-string, a G&L SB-2, an ASAT semi-hollow and sundry p and jazz basses through these. Generally rolling the tone back (if there is one) and looking for that fat country, soul sound.

I know this is subjective, I just need some dialogue with the wise ones.

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Are you going to be satisfied until you get the SVT?

3. Thank you. No. I will not. Thread closed. Sometimes we just need to hear it....

4. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you have the funds and dig the SVT then go for that. It sounds like if you go with the Eden then you are settling for second best.

5. LOL
    (milkshake comes out nose)

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    An Eden 300T + a VT Bass?:D

7. Hi.

IMHO not a fair match between those two amplifiers. The only common thing between them is the number of output tubes.

Unless the Eden tech folks have mysteriously done something really wild, You won't get anywhere near the advertised 320W or whatever they claim, out of the standard EH tubes, more like 200W. Which is plenty loud mind You ;).

If You want a SVT, buy a SVT.

If You need a cheap tube amp that goes with many names, buy the E300T.

Regards
    Sam

8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    yeah, let's face it, if you get the Eden,
    you will keep tinkering and tweaking in hope to get that SVT tone,
    and end up frustrated and disappointed when that does not work out.

9. 2nd best????? I'd say more like 30th!!!!!! They are just re-badged FAME/ASHTON(Chinese made generic tube amps) Not bad, but NO cigar!;) Bettr ones- off the top of my head, Old SVT's, SVTII, SVT-VR, V4/B/BH, PV VB-2, Traynor YBA-2, T.E. V4/V6/V8, Marshall VBA-400/superbass, etc...:bag:

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get what you really want. and believe it or not, it ends up saving you money in the long run. IMO,no one was ever sorry that they bought the best, so i would recommend that you just find yourself any one of these:

3_SVT_s.

(top to bottom: SVT-VR, 1969 SVT, 1975 SVT.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can't wait till LOUD sells Ampeg and they bring it back to American and the LOUD VR's start going for cheap on the used market!

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i don't know if they'll get too much cheaper (used) than they are right now. IMO, $1000-$1200 is a pretty good deal for a great sounding 300 watt tube bass head, and the VR ain't no slouch (even if LOUD did make them).

13. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    I own an SVT II and a 300T. SVT wins, hands down. I cant comment on the VR.

I see that Eden has just posted there revision to the 300T(WTB300V) on their website. Its the same amp with Rubys instead of Elecrto harmonics power tubes, and a new grill. They still don't disclose the preamp tubes though.
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/amps/indiv/wtb300v.aspx

And yes! Bring Ampeg back to America. I would be happy to pay an extra few hundred bucks to keep North Americas working. But then again, they never passed the savings to the consumer when they started outsourcing to china :(

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    STOP THAT JOHN. :D

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey man, I think the three of them could power one cab ;)

16. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Hey John,

Which ones your favorite. lol

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it's actually hard to say, since they all sound alike. i gig with the VR the most, but if i had to keep just one, it would be the '69.

18. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Is that 69 SVT ... the one with the odd transmitter tubes? I think they are 6146's? or was it converted

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it was converted before i got it about 12 years ago. it has GE 6550A's in it now. it has always sounded so good i never changed it back to the 6146's.

20. That is mean John :) I've been looking hard for old SVT's around here in the Charlottesville/Central Va area. Found an SVT-CL for a grand in Richmond. I think I'd have the same problem with that I'd have with the Eden. The VR just looks too good to me. Right now, I play through a 69 SVT in rehearsal. We are going out soon and I need something I'm not afraid of touring with.