Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWAMP ASH AND MAPLE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 31, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A match made in heaven these 2 woods go great with each other.My Schecter Model T Is a Swamp Ash body with a maple neck and finger board very clear good lows mids highs verry good sustain. Big fan of maple finger boards now.:)

2. Yes, swamp ash and maple is a great combo. That is why a F bass, with a maple board, will round out my stable. I really get a sound out of those basses that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. And why even look, I already know where it is.

Geoff

3. I love my Fender Custom Shop Vintage Precision with an ash body and a one piece maple neck. Used to have a Dingwall Voodoo Z2 5-string with an ash body 3-piece maple neck and a wenge fingerboard a great sounding bass as well.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I very much agree. I have an F Bass BN5 and a Lakland Skyline JO 5 with that wood combination, and I really like the their tone.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i love the combination myself!! my next F bass will have that aside from a buckeye top- Geoff- ash and maple F bass did you say?? heres temptation for you, coming soon to you know where....
    [​IMG]

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Swamp ash. . .
    I made a couple of J-bass type instruments, trying to mimic my beloved, but too damn heavy '75 Fender, and I found that I liked northern ash better. The swampy one was a lot blurrier in the bottom end, and didn't have the same snap as the northern. I might be nuts, and I know you can't predict how wood will respond absolutely, but I haven't used swamp ash since. I hollowed out the body on the ash one to make it lighter, and it worked out great.

Maple. . .
    My favourite fretboard wood! I can get everything I want tonally out of it -snap, crackle, pop, and boom!

7. I love maple necks, but Swamp Ash is a bit too snappy for me! I'll stick with Alder. :)

8. Yes indeedy, ceruse, you say. Well, slap that on a BN6, and wham!!! Or maybe an Access-F with some crazy top. I do like very unique basses. I am sure you will be hearing from me soon.

Geoff