1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swamp Ash Body Blanks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by slap_happy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I'd like to buy my body wood from a local hardwood supplier and joint and plane it myself but they only carry Northern Ash. Would you recommend a specific online supplier of body blanks? This is what I've found in a brief search. Warmoth is obviously pretty reputable and less expensive than the others but bestguitarparts.com offers 1, 2, or 3 piece bodies. This body will be finished clear so a one piece would be nice. Many of these are also 20 inches tall which as a I understand it is a bit short for a j-bass sized body blank. Anyone have any experience with these suppliers or with buying body blanks online that would be worth sharing?

Thanks

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/BassBodyBlanks.aspx

http://www.allparts.com/Swamp-Ash-Guitar-Body-Blank-p/bbao.htm

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/...e&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2010-10-gp

http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/388/Swamp_Ash_Electric_Guitar_Body_Blank.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Solid-Swamp-Guitar-Blank/dp/B0022DAV3E

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I think we all have experience with the top 3 or 4, all reputable, and good quality. You may want to check Ebay, there are some that pop up there also fo a more economical price, but the ones listed will provide you a quality blank, just make sure their blank fits the size you need before buying. Actually most Jazz basses are 19 1/2", P basses are usually 20 1/2", so for a jazz you will be fine.

3. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Also remember Swamp can vary widely in weight. Think about what BDft weight you are looking for. If you are making a short bass like a jazz or "P" with a heavy neck you may not want an ultralight body blank...t

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    also - look for a local lumber yard - you could get an 8/4 board for much cheaper than a prepared blank and only need minimal work to get it to the right dimensions

5. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I bought some nice blanks from larry at gallery hardwoods and also from tommy at usa custom guitars.Call and tell 'em what you want.Both were excellent to work with.

6. BDft being board foot? It'll be a 34" Scale 5 string with a relatively small headstock and a body that's Rosoe-ish in size, maybe a tad bigger, if that helps. Hard maple neck, most likely a macassar ebody fb.

Can it generally be assumed that a 2-piece body is split down the middle for a quasi bookmatched look? or would the two sides most likely be from a different section of board? I would guess that it would be split down the middle but SX jazz is like 3 pieces with joints that aren't even aligned with the neck.

7. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    yes board feet. I have seen it range from 1.8 lb. to 2.75

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
  9. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Not likely. Most body blanks are cut from dimensional lumber (8/4 for Fender style stuff) then planed/sanded to 1.75" thick. The stuff I've seen often appears to have been taken from the same board, but from sections along the length, not bookmatched in any sense. And some don't appear to be from the same board at all.

Many (most?) "paint grade" bodies are not center-joined, and may be 3 - 5 smaller pieces glued together. They figure there will be a solid finish over it, so it won't matter.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Looks familiar Mikey ;)

I can vouch for these guys, good stuff. Should be above the measurements that are stated.

Just remember, if you get a 2 piece or 3 piece body, that's how it comes, in separate pieces.

11. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I got a great blank from Majestic. Is he still on TB?

12. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I think he may be on TB but out of the wood business for the moment not sure though...t

13. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I've been out for a little while, but I have a huge amount of plans for the future!:bag: I have a new resaw, planer, table saw, and belt sander coming in....also a few truck loads of wood!:hyper:

14. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Oops! to whoever read the post for the few seconds it was there, that was actually meant as a PM...

15. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Where? where?? Blast...I missed it!! was it kinky?

LOL....sorry couldn't help it:D

ps: back to the topic at hand... I remember a recent thread with a bunch of websites that you would like. a quick search should dig it out....

16. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas