Swamp Ash / Maple Pbasses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 29, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone using one? how do they compare to their alder/rosewood buddies?

which one would you guys more easily gravitate to for your fingerstyle/slap pbass tone?
  2. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I had one years ago. Didn't have a warm "p-bass" tone. To me, ash and maple are better suited for a jazz bass style instrument.
    Speaking of Swamp ash in particular, I have always felt that this light type of ash lacked a good fundamental in almost every bass I heard with this body wood. Regular ash, (white ash?) that is considerably heavier, always seems to have a nice defined fundamental.
  3. Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have a '91 Pbass+. It has a heavy ash body, maple neck, with a 2Tek bridge and SD 1/4 pounders. The tone is somewhat "pointy", clear and articulate, with good bottom, and good definetion thoughout the range of notes.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I had a blonde ash '57 RI P-bass for awhile, and currently own a Lull P5 with quilt maple over ash. Wish ash-body P-basses in general, my experience matches billys: a light swamp ash body has less bottom and growl than alder, but is better in the mids and high mids, so it really stands out in the mix. My best description would be that ash P-basses have a sweet singing tone, rather than the deep ballsy growl of alder. FWIW I think ash-body P-basses are better for slapping and faster playing, because notes are more clearly defined.

The heavy ash CBS-era P-basses I've played have had a more scooped sound: strong bottom and top, less character in the mids.

Obviously these are generalities... YMMV, etc etc.
  5. I compared a swamp ash and an alder P bass side by side once. I liked the sound of the swamp ash one more. I remember it having more charactor, and possibly being a little fuller sounding. I know this doesn't really fit with what everyone has been saying, but it's just what I heard. I think Alder is more of a neutral type of wood that sounds good, is well balanced, but isn't particularly prominant in any particular tonal range.

(Swamp ash is also a much nicer looking wood).
  6. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I have a CS swamp ash/maple P, medium weight, and it sounds great, not overly bright or top-endy, not overly warm, very even across the tonal range. Unlike Jacob, I don't think alder is tonally neutral, to me it has a pronounced midrange and I generally don't like that. But every instrument is different.