1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swamp ash vs Basswod on l2000 trib - worth the extra 120 euros?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by adytum, Mar 31, 2009.

1. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    Hi guys,

I'm just making the final decision on which G&L to purchase, and have landed on the L-2000 tibute. I have the possibility to either go for the basswood one(the black), or the premium swamp ash.
    Is it really that much of a difference that it can justify 380 euros vs 500? My budget is tight:meh: I know about the basics on tonal difference of woods, but I'm just wondering if anybody here has specific experience with basswoods ones, or have an opinion on whether it's worth going with the premium?

Thanks in advance.

2. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I view it as less an issue of it being "better" as much as it is being "different."

Ash and Basswood have different tonal qualities.

3. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    Yes, but I've heard and read that basswood is much more prone to dents and scratches because it's softer. That's really not very important for me though.

4. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    You're correct. Basswood is a softer wood compared to Ash.

*shrugs*

But as you stated, that doesn't really matter...

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  6. The real, perhaps most important, difference is the paint jobs. Basswood on the solid finishes, ash on the transparent finishes. On the Tribbies, that is the way it is. On the MIA, you can special order which ever you prefer.

edg

7. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Play both and let your ears tell you which is better. Nobody was ever sorry they bought the best.

8. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna go ahead and buy the basswood one, haven't really tried it(only played an us made) but I'll take a chance. Can't go that wrong.

9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I have a basswood Trib. L2000 and I love it. I'm sure you wont be dissappointed in this choice. Report back when you get it with your opinions. :)

10. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    I sure will! :)
    By the way, anybody tried flats on the L2K?

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I have TI Jazz flats on mine and I love them. :)

12. I have La Bella Deep Talking Flats on mine, and I love it. It fits the sound I hear in my head.

Please don't tell my shrink!!!!

edg

13. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    The difference in sound between Ash and Basswood is just a preference. For some players it would be an issue. For others not as much.

Whether it's right or wrong will be dependent exclusively on your ears.

14. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Basswood might have more mids. The ash may have a snappier top end and tighter bottom. But each piece of wood has some differences. The descriptions are more a long the lines of typical characteristics that can vary widely.

I had a basswood / maple topped / rosewood USA L2500. It had an ugly solo sound but it played well in a mix. I have an ash / maple Tribute L2000 that sounds good soloed but has never sat in a mix to my liking.

15. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    Wow, you really feel it made that much of a difference, only because of the wood type? I feel that most of the tonal differences can be compensated for with a little EQing (in the mix of course).

16. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Wood and construction are the one piece you can't change after the fact. But they are only part of the EQ, strings, pickups, amp, room, cabinet, style, technique equation.

17. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    EQ can only take you so far. The sound of the instrument in regards to the tonal properties of the wood is something that you can't completely compensate for; it will sound like whatever tone wood it is with the EQ jacked up on it.

As I've become a better listener and player I can hear the difference to a greater degree and have been in situations where those differences have become fairly evident when I get to hear the final results.

It's also important to remember that not all mixes are the same; while Ash may be a brighter tonewood and have less pronounced low-end than basswood the mix might be such that it will set better.

This is why your first question seemed somewhat loaded. It's like asking if Chocolate Ice Cream is better than Strawberry Ice Cream even though it's a dollar cheaper per scoop; the determination as to "better" can come from a vast number of variables like the mix, the player, etc.

18. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    I must admit that I do not hear that much of a difference in different mixes with different wood types that I've worked with. But evidently it can impact the sound greatly, and of course I don't disagree with you guys. I've only recently become exclusively a bass player from beeing the guy who plays a little bit of everything, so I'll probably pay more attention and notice these things more with time. And yes, Skarekrough, I see now that my question came off a little bit strange, but it was mainly because some bad things I heard about basswood, and that huge price difference just confused me even more.
    Thanks for the input!

19. I own four L2000s. Three Americans, one tribute. Different woods, necks, fretboards, etc.

I am amazed that some of you hear the differences in loud mixes between ash and maple, rosewood and maple, etc. I have heard all four in mixes and recordings and they all sound the same. They sound great, but they all sound the same.

About the only thing that I find that really changes the sound of an L2000 is the string type. That will have a recognizable impact. But besides that? I have heard them recorded many, many times and I couldn't tell you which one did which recording.

It is, in my opinion, one of the strengths of the L2000 line. I have played a helluva a lot of them over the years and have been disapointed only once. I think something was genuinely wrong with that bass. These suckers are usually very consistent.

I know I am also in a minority when I say this, but I think the Tributes sound just as good as the Americans. Properly set up and everything. I just can't get used to the wider necks because I started on a USA.

Not to argue about the previous points of views expressed in the posts. But my experience is different.

Again, not to argue but I would be interested in hearing the same song recorded with two different L2000s with two different body materials to hear the differences that you guys hear. Of course, the L2000s would need to have the same strings and the same eq. Maybe there is something wrong with my hearing!

John

20. adytum

adytum

Feb 23, 2009
    That is something I'd really like to hear too!