1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Swap a 410 tweeter with a cone driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassometer, Jan 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. What if I replaced the tweeter in my 410 cab with a 4" or 5" cone driver and replaced the crossover with a 1600 hz unit? I would have to build a small wood enclosure on the inside of the baffle board (unless I use a sealed back driver). Here is an example of the components I am considering :

Eminence Pro 5w: 5" cone driver
    75 watts rms
    120 hz - 7.5 kHz
    $60

Eminence PXB2-1k6: crossover
    1,600 hz crossover, 400 watts
    LF slope 12 dB per octave
    HF slope 18 dB per octave
    $50

Goal:

I have a cheap TVX 410-8 cab, the tweeter is blown. It is currently wired in full range but the mids sound blah and the off-axis midrange and above sound energy is poor. What I am hoping to achieve is: ineligible mids everywhere in the room, if I replace the existing tweeter I will still get that boomy tone everywhere in the room except when standing directly in front of it and it will be a clanky 5k sound (not what I am looking for, I am shooting for real mids, clear and accurate). Any thoughts? Anybody have any experience in this area? I am looking for low cost options. Thanks

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Building a box inside for the cone mid will detune the cab. Thought about maybe using a high pass on two of the tens? One vertical pair being limited to low frequency only will minimize the beaming of the 410.

3. Ah, good point it will alter the internal volume of the cab. So with this in mind I am pretty much restricted to a sealed back driver (it should displace similar volume to that of the tweeter). Are there any inexpensive ($50-60) 5" sealed back drivers?

4. B-string

I'd have to search, they used to be pretty widely available.

5. I looked on US speaker and the only hit I got was a 6.5" eminence but I don't think it will fit, I need a smaller diameter.

6. " maybe using a high pass on two of the tens? One vertical pair being limited to low frequency only will minimize the beaming ofthe 410"

Interesting concept. In theory (based on my limited knowledge) this should eliminate comb filtering; are 410's that subceptible to CF?

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I believe you are looking for a low pass filter.
    To get the cabinet into a .5 alignment you want to take the upper mids and treble out of one vertical half of the drivers.

See this thread for further detail.

B-string likes this.
  8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    B-string likes this.
  9. B-string

10. Thanks for the suggestions, I don't know if those drivers will cut it though. I am with you; plye probably is on the optimistic side when rating thier drivers.

11. B-string

As far as the .5 alignment idea, yes it does solve the beaming problem. Makes a 410 have the off axis mid/high dispersion of a vertical 210.

Remember the higher the frequency, the lower the power output. A mid driver will need very good sensitivity though to be heard over the woofers. That is why a 50 watt horn tweeter lives very well in a 1000 watt cab.

Doug Parent likes this.
  12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  13. "I doubt the output would be a match" I think that would depend on what frequently the crossover is. This Eminence is a 150 watt rms driver, I think it could easily keep up to a Peavey 410. O agree that baffle won't accomodate the size.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    He's get more highs fixing the tweeter, Foster tweet is 103 db.

15. Yes, the tweeter is more efficient but on this cab it sounds clanky. I know the smart thing to do is sell the cab and buy or build something better suited to my needs but I was hoping to make this work (cheaply)

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You will waste precious time and money and still not get what you want. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. So many people post about trying to improve their cabs by swapping out x for y, adding z, etc, etc. It rarely works.

Now if you are a maker or tinkerer, and get satisfaction by building things, messing with things, then party on!

BTW, if are locked into the form factor of a 410, I suggest building a fEARful 15/6 Tube. Same form factor, but it will be lighter, have better dispersion, no beaming/acoustical interference issues, and be able to outperform 99% of the 410s out there.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I vaguely remember someone here mod'ing an avatar 410 with a mid driver, I think.
    Maybe.

18. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I used a pyle tweeter replacing the stock tweeter in a cheapo peavey pr15. It was a noticeable improvement and we used it at rehearsals for years after.
    P.s. I want to name my next band "ineligible mids" !!!!

will33 likes this.
  19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Might be further ahead making a little 2x6 "topbox" with hpf to chain to your 410. Extra piece to carry but smaller than an amp and open up a lot more driver options.

20. Now if you are a maker or tinkerer, and get satisfaction by building things, messing with things, then party on!

BTW, if are locked into the form factor of a 410, I suggest building a fEARful 15/6 Tube. Same form factor, but it will be lighter, have better dispersion, no beaming/acoustical interference issues, and be able to outperform 99% of the 410s out there.

Guilty as charged, I am a bit of a tinkerer.

I am planning on building a 15/6 or two 12/6's in the future. I agree this is the way to go (assuming I like the flat frequency response,... I think I do?)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021