Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swap a Mike Lull M5V for a Skyline 55.02. > Do or don't?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Nov 30, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The situation!

- Bought a Skyline 55.02 (rosewood fretboard, sunburst color)
    - Liking the nice Jazz-like vibe in it, but missing 'something' from the beginning.
    - Actually bought it to record the demo and afterwards looking for something else perhaps.
    - Interested in buying a secondhand Lull M5V bass.
    - Price for selling the Skyline equals buying the Lull.

So.... do or don't? :eyebrow:

I kinda need the 22nd fret sometimes while playing the songs with my band, and as you probably know the M5V is a '21-fretted bass'. So I have to bend it in a repetitive riff.... hopefully it works out well for me....

The Skyline.... It's a very nice bass indeed and I was delighted by what I heard considering the price, but I need more vintage Mojo or whatever you want to name it. The Skyline is a bit too shy IMHO....

Anyone to say this is not a good idea or would the M5V have a Mojo for me?? I am looking for a sound with more balls than the Skyline.

I am in doubt because of the fact I am buying another bass...and don't want to have a problem with my girl... :D

2. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    If the M5V is in excellent condition, just dollar for dollar you'd be getting a good deal, I believe. The Lulls sound great. Real jazz bass vibe.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Bump.... opinions plz?

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    i like lull basses but never played one.
    they are jazz on steroids

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think that the Skyline series of basses are generally a good deal, but if you like the Lull, I think you'd be crazy not to make that trade. In my opinion, the quality of the components and craftsmanship in the Lull (and I'm guessing tone and playability as well) should make the difference. Granted, the Skyline you have is probably a very nice bass for the money, but I think you'd be getting a bass of a higher caliber in the Lull if the trade is "even steven".

6. Go for it man. The Lull is a way better bass.

If you're not going to buy it, give me the owners phone number hehe then I will buy it for that price :D

R.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll say this, the Lull has a higher dollar value than the 55-02. So, if you have someone willing to trade straight up then you are getting a bargain.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Lulls COST almost a grand more than A Skyline 55-02- keep that in mind- I am becoming a big fan of Lulls- very cleand and gig friendly tone. Right now I play a Lakland 55-94 and I would compare a Lull more to that than a Skyline, for sure.
    Skyline or Lull?
    man, you GOTTA go for the Lull.