Swap EMG hzs for EMGs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillSC, Jun 10, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I am currently playing a Dean Edge Q4 ( I have a DP Custom 5er on order). This year, I switched to playing bass after a lot of years of banging on a 6 string. I enjoy playing bass much more thn I ever did playing guitar. At any rate, I am thinking of replacing the EMG hZs with active EMGs...two questions, is this a sound move? If so, what would be the recommendation as far as pickups? As I know very little about bass pickups, I would like some help. I love the Dean....the weight, action, neck...everything. I dont feel bad about putting the money in the Dean as I damned near stole the thing on EBAY. Any help would bee appreciated. Thanks.
  2. BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I've got a Spector ns2000-Q5 with the HZ's and think they sound perfectly fine. Plenty of punch and clarity, though a bit sterile at times. I'd still stick with em if I were you.
  3. Well on my Korean Spector, I have EMG Hz pups, and on my Czech Spector I have EMG DC40 pickups. The main difference is that the Hz pups are themselves passive - and use an active preamp for the boost. The EMG DC40s are themselves active and working through the EMG BTS preamp in the Czech Spector have much more in the way of output and tonal variation.

Not that the Hz pups are bad! They are good enough for me not to spend the money on the Korean Spector to get them upgraded! I'd say that they have about 80% of the output and about 90% of the tonal possibilities. The Hz are still good pups!
  4. Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Johnny Boom, thank you for clearing that up. It just saved me from dropping the cash on 2 sets of pickups for my 4 & 5 string SSD's. :)

5. No problem!!! I actually just acquired a SSD NS5CR which has unbranded soapbar pickups - which will probably get the EMG DC 40 treatment and an EMG BTS preamp - but the HZ equipped Korean model is definitely up to the job!
  6. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks, Johnny. I appreciate the information. It dosnt sound like it would be worth it to invest the bucks in exchange for what I might gain. Thanks, again....Bill