1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swap in a different musician into a band's history...who'd you like to see?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Billyzoom, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    This doesn't have to be bass specific, but I think it's fun to think about.

For example, I've always had a great appreciation for Mick Fleetwood's drumming, and for some reason have always wondered how the Rolling Stones might have sounded different had he been their drummer rather than Charlie Watts.

This is no dig on Charlie whatsoever, nor am I saying that one's better than the other...just an interesting dynamic I've thought about, where I wonder how the musical "stew" might have tasted different.

Another for me would have been to have David Hidalgo or perhaps Brian Setzer in the Blasters (again, I love Dave Alvin and know he also wrote much of the songs....it's not about that).

Any you think would be interesting?

pcake and jdh3000 like this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Ringo Star in Tool and Danny Carey in The Beatles.

lucas303 likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ooh, man, I love this game!

...mostly because I always thought that Asia would have been a much cooler band if they'd had someone besides Carl Palmer on drums.
    Sorry, but Palmer is both too bombastic and not precise enough to do justice to the post-prog arena-rock/pop genre that Asia was working in. His time sucks, his fills step all over other instruments, and he's incapable of leaving space or allowing things to breath.

So the requirement is: Must be British, must have a prior history of playing in British prog-rock bands during the 1970s, and must be better than Carl Palmer.

I sometimes think Simon Philips would've been an excellent choice, but tbh he is way too overqualified for the gig. His talents would be wasted in Asia.

John Weathers would have been an interesting choice. He has the equivalent 70s prog credentials/bona fides as the other guys in the band, but he's a much less "Look At Me!" drummer than Carl Palmer. Weathers knows how to play what's required without overplaying.

Barriemore Barlow would be my other choice, although I'm not really familiar with any of his work outside of Jethro Tull. But like John Weathers, Barlow has the equivalent 70s prog credentials/bona fides as the other guys in the band, he has the chops but he doesn't overplay.

Anyhow...fun game!

4. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Sid Vicious would've ruled in the Beatles and Charlie Mingus would have been the perfect Motown house bassist.

bolophonic likes this.
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Don't fire Pete Best.

pcake, Bob_Ross and Passinwind like this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

They had their own Sid Vicious in Stu Sutcliffe.

Passinwind likes this.
  8. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Next-level thinking right there, @Passinwind — I like it! But based on the Mingus bio I read recently, I can see him coming to blows with Berry Gordy.

The Owl and Passinwind like this.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Exactly! ;)

JRA, dalkowski and 31HZ like this.
  10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Have Geddy take over bass and vocals in VH when Dave left.
    Flea with ACDC.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Emerson, Vicious & Palmer.

12. Charlie Haden with either Bill Evans Trio or John Coltrane's classic quartet
    Louis Johnson with Stevie Wonder

13. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I would pull the guitar player out of Blue Cheer and put Tiny Tim in his place.

JRA likes this.
  14. Hendrix and Page as dueling lead guitars for Led zeppelin.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. Canadian supergrouping here. Always loved Rush and Triumph but grab Rik Emmett and sub him for Alex Lifeson would have given the new band the highest voices in the biz and a guitarist of at least the same ability.

charlie monroe and Billyzoom like this.
  16. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Dennis Chambers on drums in Sly and the Family Stone. Their drummer always played the same repetitive 16th note fills, like on M’lady. Dennis would have taken them HIGHER.

The Owl likes this.
  17. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Mike Stern in early Chicago

The Owl likes this.
  18. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Jaco in Tower of Power. Would love to hear him and David Garibaldi lock in a groove.

The Owl, lowdownthump and Need Gigs like this.
  19. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Slash in Aerosmith would have been interesting.

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    George Michael with Daryl Hall instead of John Oates. Michael and Hall (Hall and Michael just sounds weird)

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021