1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swap Mac OS X 10.5 disks for 10.4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by tombowlus, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up a Mac OS X 10.5 Family Pack, which I had hoped would run on my new to me G4 (Flat Panel). Well, it turns out, that my G4 will only run up to 10.4. :spit:

Anyone have a 10.4 full install that they'd like to swap for 10.5?

Thanks, Tom.

2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Is it possible to use the OSX Tiger install disc that comes bundled with macs? I'm not sure if they're protected to only work with the computer they ship with. I have a G4 PowerBook that obviously came with 10.4, but I'm looking to upgrade to Leopard.

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am not sure, to be honest. But, it looks like I may already have a source for my 10.4 install disk, which would mean that my 10.5 disk (and the upgrade disk to 10.5.2) might be up for sale.

Tom.

4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    PM me with a price if that becomes the case. :)

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Will do, thanks!

6. I believe they are tied to a specific H/W SN.

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm pretty sure that the Mac OS installation discs are not restricted to specific hardware or even use a S/N for registration. That is the case with upgrades, anyway.

8. My only experience was trying to install ilife 08 apps from a 10.5 install disk from a new newer laptop that I bought. It wouldn't allow it. Unauthorized machine.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    If it came with the computer, it will probably say "Powermac G4 Install Disc" or something like that. It will only work for that computer. If you bought it separately and it has a giant X on the disc, then you're good to go (assuming your computer is compatible).

If you still want to trade for 10.4, I may be interested.

10. All Macs come with an install disc that is SPECIFIC TO THAT COMPUTER ONLY and cannot be used to install on another computer.

Commercially purchased OS disks seem to be able to be installed on multiple computers without any problems.

That said, on some of the newer computers, Apple has begun to include what they call "drop-in" disks, meaning that the OS disks they send out with purchased computers are identical to the commercial releases that are available separately and can be used on any computer.

To my knowledge that is a very new phenomenon (this year) and therefore no Tiger disks issued with a computer are able to be used for another computer.

As for Leopard, you MAY get lucky, but only if your computer is brand new this year's model

Cheers!

Jerzy

11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    ive used my install disc with a bunch of other macs... and ive ALWAYS been able to do that since os9 until 10.5. thinking that apple with make discs specific for each and every computer they make is insane. :scowl:

12. OOPS! :meh:

COOL! :hyper:

JG :bassist:

13. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

now... legally installing mac os from one set of discs on multiple machines is another story :bag:

14. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Tom,

If you have a laptop or another newer mac, you can install 10.5 on the G4 quite easily by connecting it to the mac via firewire and setting the G4 up in target disc mode.

What this does is make the g4 a mounted disc on your newer mac. You can then simply choose the g4 as the destination for the OS.

That said, if you want to do this be aware of two things...

1) I suggest that you have at the very least 1 gig of ram. The new cat is hungry and since the processor is under recommended specs... double that sentiment. I have it running on my sons g4 flat panel and it crawled until I max'ed ram. It is OK now.

2) When you set it up, you will need to attach an external drive for Time Machine. Any drive will do, and you can then turn it off and remove the drive if you do not want this feature.

PM me with any questions if you'd like.

A

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My problems would be that I don't have another mac to do this install on, I don't have 1 Meg of RAM, and I don't have an external drive. :meh:

16. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    haha. wow...... ok PM!

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I tried a burnt copy of 10.4, but my iMac just sits there and doesn't do anything other than sporadically spin the disk. So, I am back to offering for trade my unused 10.5 disks for a complete 10.4 install set.

Thanks, Tom.

18. I'm thinking your mac has a CDR or RW. 10.4 requires CDRW/DVDR Combo, DVD-ROM or DVDRW Superdrive. 10.5 requires a DVD-ROM or Superdrive.

Lengthly (hopefully helpful) PM sent.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    This is a darned good point. I will try to determine if this is a CD-ROM or DVD drive. I do have an external Sony DVD burner, and maybe it will work (I think it's Mac compatible, though I use it primarily with my Dell laptop).

And thank you for the helpful PM!

Tom.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It turns out that we aren't really using the Mac, and I never did install these disks, so I have the OS X 10.5 Family Pack (plus upgrade disk to 10.5.2) up for sale. $75, shipped.