1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swap my 5 String (Lakland JO5) for a 4 String? HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dub56, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    I might be crazy, but I'm considering selling/trading my beloved JO5 for a JO4 or some other 4 string.

PROS:
    I like having the versatility to be able to play in different positions with the root on the B string. I hardly do this when just playing on my own but sometimes do when playing in a band setting or jamming.

CONS:
    I just play better, more comfortably, and more creatively on a 4 string. (although this "improvement" in my playing isn't extremely significant) And a smaller profile neck is more comfortable to me. I like not having to always worry about muting the B string.

I know it seems like the list of cons outweighs pros, but there is also the factor of having to go through the trouble of selling/trading/buying, and the fact that despite the cons of the 5, I do really like this bass.

So, those of you that have gone from 5 to 4, any regrets?

Oh and here's a pic, cause without it the bass in question doesn't exist, right?
    IMG_9100.jpg

Thanks for any opinions, before I jump into anything.. :ninja:

PS: For Lakland lovers out there, are there any other brands of bass I should consider that are similar to Lakland in feel, quality, sound in the skyline price range? Or should I stick with what I know?

2. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    well you said it yourself man

"I just play better, more comfortably, and more creatively on a 4 string. And a smaller profile neck is more comfortable to me. I like not having to always worry about muting the B string."

with the limited amount you say you use the B, why is it needed? for the odd time you use it, seems like a waste to me considering all the pluses you have for 4 string.

wish I could help on lakland quality, but no experience with them. but i will say that out of all the basses I've played musicmans always have a high quality and amazing feel

3. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    I edited my OP to answer your post a bit, I'm also just thinking "Is it really worth it to go through the hassle of buying and selling just to have the same bass with one less string?"

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has done something like this in the past and how their decision turned out

4. keep it and justify buying a 4-string bass

5. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    check your other thread. :D

6. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    That's a good suggestion, but another side to the story is I do have 2 other 4 strings. For quite a while all I really played were 5 strings and now that I bought a 4 I realized I may not need the 5.

Problem is, I like Laklands, and I need some cash. So my tentative plan was to just downsize to one Lakland 4 string and sell off one of my other basses as well.

PM'd you

7. easy then, if you really like the 5, sell the other 2 4 strings and buy that really good Lakland 4 string

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    good idea!

I was going to suggest buying a 4 string Lakie to accompany your JO5....MF has some GREAT deals on a few select models here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=lakland

you have to clickaround to find the deals (as only SOME are really low! not sure why...)

PS - not really "advertising" for MF.....just happened to see this in another thread....

To me - NOTHING feels as good as a Lakie....

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Replace it with a 4string. Your own comments make this highly sensible imo. Ive owned a 3 fivers, no regrets on not owning any for the past several yrs.

10. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Keep the 5-string. It gives you more range and left hand fretboard choices.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Plus the "play better/more creatively on a 4" thing is probably all mental. You just need to fully convince yourself that there is nothing you can do on a JO4 that you can't do on your JO5.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021