Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swap-o-rama ... or was it switch-a-roony?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 6, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been wanting to try a little compression in my rig, but can't decide on a unit. So here's what I'm gonna do. I've got a dbx 1066 in my PA. There's also a Peavey (shut up, hosers) stereo 15-band EQ in there that's been embarrassing me for a while.

Now somebody in some forum said it's really not cool to run the full PA through a compressor. OK, good. So maybe it won't hurt if I selfishly yank the comp out of the PA. But just in case, I ordered a dbx 2215 graphic EQ that has a built-in limiter and noise gate. At least the limiter will give me some level protection for the Mackie 1530's in the PA.

Also, the 2215 only has two knobs per side, so I might even be able to figure it out. That silly 1066 has 227 knobs per side, all with strange, esoteric names. OK, so I'll insert the 1U 1066 into my bass rig, and diddle it all night trying to get some use out of it. Meanwhile, I'll sell the danged Peavey for $100 or so, and buy another SM-58, just for kicks.

Onliest thing is, the Peavey has a cool feature ... there's a little red LED above each frequency slider. When you get feedback, the LED over the offending frequency range lights up, and you just pull it down a bit. I'll miss that, but I've always worried that the quality of the EQ circuitry in the Peavey is not so fabulous. Just a hunch, you know.

By the way, I ordered the 2215 from Rik's Music for $30 less than GC or anywhere else, and there's no tax and Rik's pays the shipping. Bitchen.

Anyway, I thought I ought to let you guys know what I'm up to. Not that I think I NEED to ask, but anybody see any fatal flaws in my plan?