Swap out nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JES, Jul 11, 2020.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

How hard is it to swap out a nut? I have a Music Man Silhouette bass 6, and it comes with two compensated nuts. The one on there is for E-E tuning but they also included a compensated nut for A-A. Is this something I can switch out at home since it is pre-cut?

I’m comfortable doing my own setups and soldering pickups but this is new for me.

TIA.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Sure. Take the strings off. Look to see if there is any neck finish that bridges from wood to nut. Score any finish with an exacto blade so it won’t chip when you pull the nut.

Place a block of wood on the fret board against the nut. Tap it firmly with a hammer. Do the same from the other side. This will loosen the glue holding the nut in place. At this point the nut may be loose. you may be able to pull the nut straight up and out. If not, you may have to tap it from the sides. get it loose and pull it straight up and out.

Carefully Clean the slot of any glue residue with a suitable file or steel dental picks. Get it all out and flat and square.

string up and check the nut height and position. Adjust. If it’s too high or wide, rub it on sandpaper laid flat On a table, or block, to remove material from the bottom or ends.

put a small drop of wood glue, and I mean SMALL, in the slot and put the new nut in. String it up to pitch. Adjust the nut position. Let it sit overnight. The string tension will clamp it in place. Done.

you can use CA glue but it won’t allow you to adjust the nut once you get the strings on. The glue is only going to grip the nut and hold it in place, glue doesn’t stick well to smooth nut material so removing it later is fairly easy by tapping it as said above.

kodiakblair, dwizum and JES like this.
  3. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thank you. Exactly what I need to know!

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    In the world of carpentry, "pre-cut" is already too short.

In the world of luthiery, "pre-cut" is just too tall. Or too long.
    Most of the time.
    When you're lucky.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    JLS and 96tbird like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021