Swap Pups and/or Pre in a Modulus?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cleezmo, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Cleezmo

Cleezmo

Feb 25, 2015
    I have a ’00 Modulus Q-5 with EMG 40DCs and the EMG 2-band pre. It’s completely stock, currently has DR Pure Blues .45-.130s on it. It was my main bass for 10 years or so, and I loved/appreciated it’s clear, articulate tone. I wouldn’t say it sounds sterile, but it does sound precise; it has some growl, but it’s not growly, if that makes sense.

However, I’ve been playing G&Ls (M and L series) the last few years and love the phatter, grittier tone they have; they have grit/punch/growl, but they are still super articulate and defined. So I’ve been toying with the idea of changing out the pups, pre, or both in the Modulus to warm it up. I’d like to phatten up the mids, give it a bit more warmth overall without losing the punch and ability to cut through in a mix.

I’m wondering if new pups (something like a Nordstrand Big Split, Honey Badger Heavy Hitter or Aguilar DCBs) and/or a different pre (Nordy, Aguilar, etc.) would be most effective. I’d prefer not to shell out $500 for both pups and pre, so wondering if the group could chime in on what would be the easiest way to phatten up the tone of this beast. If I end up needing the bass to get back to its current clean and clear hi-fi tone, I can always swap it back to stock.

To be clear, I’m not looking to dramatically change its overall character, and I’m not trying to replicate a G&L/P-bass/J-bass or anything else; I’m just looking to add a bit of oomph to its current tonal character. All my basses are stock so I don't have any frame of reference in swapping pups or pre-amps...

Thanks

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022