Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping 1x15 speaker for 2x10 in combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KenToby, Oct 27, 2004.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I just picked up a Fender Bassman 100 combo amp to practice with. Although I like the sound of the single 15" speaker, I generaly like the sound of 2 10" speakers better. I have the room on the front surface to swap the speaker and I also know I can match the ohm rateing. My question the cabinet builders among us is this:
    Knowing that my speaker enclosure matched to the single 15 speaker, can I make the swap to 2x10 and get a favorable outcome? Maybe I should step up to a better 15" speaker.
    What do you think??

Thanks,

KT...

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its a crapshoot, might sound OK, probably won't. The cab space is designed for a certain speaker's characteristics, not even any other quality 15" speaker would sound the same, probably would require different port tuning. Substituting two 10's would be even less likely to sound good.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

3. Two tens is like...twenty. So it'll be five better.

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

:rolleyes:

Uh, yeah!

Actually, the whole cab-is-tuned-to-that-specific-speaker rigamarole is right-o cap'n.

5. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    You have a limited power issue that's a bigger problem than the box design. The speaker in your amp is special and works well at lower power. You can match the load, no problem, but I don't think you are going to match the design engineering work that went into making any of the current crop of 100 watt bass amps.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually two tens have a bit less surface area than one 15"

don't mod your combo. It will sound worse due to the cab being designed for that speaker and your amp will have zero resale value.

zero.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The right way to get what you want is to add a closed back midrange 8 to your box; the job is simple and will give you midrange that tens only put out in their dreams. Use an Eminence Alpha 8 MR along with an Eminence PXB2-800 crossover, both available at www.partsexpress.com.

8. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    PM sent

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ken your biggest problem is that even if you find speakers that work in that enclosure and you are able to adjust the cab tuning, you''ll have to somehow remove the old baffle and install a new one. I've got a 1x15 cab at home and I keep threatning to turn it into a 2x12 + 2x6, but I never work up enough enthusiasm to make a whole new baffle.

Incidentally Bill, the 6's I'm planning to use are Alpha 6's. I'd definitely consider the 6's if the 8's don't fit.