Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWAPPING 4 OHM VOICE COIL INTO 8 OHM CAB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Apr 18, 2005.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Another thread reminded me I have this quesition. A lot of 8 ohm speakers have 4 ohm kits available. So say you had a simple (no tweeters, crossovers, at that) blown 8 ohm cab and you wanted to recone 4 ohm. Would it function equally in that cab or would the increase output blow the cab parameters all to ............wherever.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If the 8 and 4 ohm versions have the same Thiele/Small parameters it will work. But there are some speakers (JBL comes to mind) that have different specs on their 8 and 4 ohm versions of the same driver.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The only way to do this is to get the speaker reconed using a 4 ohm kit. as mentioned, make sure it's the same T/S parameters.

What speaker is it?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    It was hypothetical question not a realistic situation - but I was thinking of the Aggie GS 112.

I like the tone but a 4 ohm version would better suit my needs. Eminence speaker.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hypotheticals are good! It's smart to sus these things out before jumping in!

Does the Aggie GS112 come in a 4 ohm version? If so you could be in luck. It means that 4ohm recone kits are available, though it may also be worth checking out the price f a new 4 ohm 12" driver.

If the Aggie doesn't come in a 4ohm version, you're stuck with 8 ohms.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Nope, or I'd just buy one. I don't think any Aguilar cabs are 4 ohm - except maybe one with 2 - 8 ohm speakers.

You'd think with all the amps running on 2 ohms these days it would at least be an option. You're cutting yourself out of a market share otherwise and apparently it's not like you'd have to re-invent the wheel. Just have Eminence make up some 4's to go with the 8's.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hear ya but it's not always that simple. I remember trying to get some 10's in 4 ohm versions so I could link them in series for an 8 ohm cab I was building. The supplier had to check with the factory and yes 4 ohm speakers were possible, but they would only take orders of 20 or more. Any less that that and it wasn't worth their while producing them. So I missed out.

Traditionally 4 ohms drivers have been allocated to the Home and Car Hi-fi world. Most live audio drivers are 8 ohm, some 16, and very very few in 4 ohm versions. 2 ohm amps are still pretty new and the speaker industry hasn't yet reacted to them.

We could try swapping it out for a completely different eminence 4 ohm driver but it won't sound like an Aggie any more.