swapping a jazz neck pickup for a P pickup (Jazz bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 25, 2005.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I didn't want to do a 1x swap, but actually come up with a way I could swap a P and J pickup back and forth as I wanted. It would mean having two separate pickguards, but not a big deal. Is there a way to use some sort of quick disconnects between the pickup and volume pot?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think something like this would work.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    It would be a slow swap as the pickups on P and J basses are screwed into the body, not the pickguard.

I'd wager that you won't get too many swaps under your belt before you strip out the holes in the body and have a big mess on your hands...

It would almost be quicker to have a spare body and swap necks...but there's that hole stripping problem again.

Does a P pup wired in parallel sound close enough to a J to just do that and leave the P in there?
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Seems to me that there used to be a production bass that had changable pickups.

IIRC, the body was routed for a rectangular block to slide in and out from under the strings. The pickup was housed in the block (or potted in the block). The connections were done with banana type plugs/jacks.

Doing something like that would speed up the swapping process and allow you to keep one pickguard on the bass (with a big rectangular cutout where the neck pickup goes).

Just a thought...
  5. ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    Don't forget the fact that a single J-PU will HUM like hell :rolleyes: except you take a humbucker, so did I
    (EMG PJ-Set, I'm very pleased with it).