Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping for Actives

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I want to replace my EMG-HZ's with the real deal (EMG's). I'm not very experienced with the inside of a bass or electronics. Can anyone give me some advice? Will this be pheasable? Costly? Impossible? Not worth it? Dangerous? Possible, but requiring the help of a luthier? Possible, but it will take months? Some advice please.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    1. Is it feasible?

Yes.

2. Costly?

Apart from the cost of the new pups, it depends on what else you have in your bass right now - what types of controls, does it have a preamp? If you give some more details, I can be more specific

3. Impossible?

It's all possible

4. Possible, but requiring the help of a luthier?

Like I said, it depends on exactly what you have in your bass right now - what controls, preamp? Also, do you have any soldering experience?

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My knowledge on this subject is very thin, but I'll tell you what I can.

I have an active EMG 2-band EQ w/ EMG-HZ pickups. That's really all I know that I can think of right now.

Yes, I do have soldering experience.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    and...

I have a neck pickup volume, bridge pickup volume, treble, and bass knob.

I know I'll have to install another battery thingy in there for the new pickups.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok then, this should be straightforward.

when you buy your new EMG active pups, they'll come with their own 25k volume pots. Wire them up as shown in the diagram that comes with it, and the output of the second volume pot will go into the input of either the bass or treble control.

Basically, look at the way it's wired right now and replicate that with the new active pickups and pots.

There are wiring diagrams on emg's web site.

If you need any more help, let me know

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Thanks David, you lend a-heck-of-a-helping hand! It all seems so simple now...