1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swapping Fuzzes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Mar 4, 2016.

1. I decided that my Idiotbox Static Fuzz didn't have enough 'fuzz' character for me. I mean, it kind of does if you crank the white noise but then there's too much going on in the background. Great drive pedal regardless, but too similar in that regard to the others I already have.

I like pedals that retain my mids (hence the muffs on this list having mid controls), but I honestly can't tell you exactly what kind of fuzz tone I'm going for. I dig the fuzz tone I get with my Volt Throw on Hi Si clipping and the gain up (distortion breaking up into fuzz) but it's also my main distortion I use so I need a separate fuzz. All of these should retain good low end, but I run my dirt through a Wounded Paw parallel blender regardless.

Any comments on these particular pedals? Comparisons between them or the other fuzzes I've had: Heavy Electronics Grind Fuzz, EQD Acapulco, Jext Telez Dizzy Tone ?

Daredevil Almighty Bass (cranked)
    Big Game EAND
    Vick Audio Fuzz Box (or Black Arts Ritual/Destroyer)
    Abominable Electronics Hail Satan
    KMA Dead Stag
    Fuzzhugger Bass Bloom
    SmallsoundBigsound Mini
    Malekko Diabolik

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    This video may sway you to a Diabolik but have you considered a TAFM?

(The Diabolik is a total winner in my books FWIW)

3. Ahh yes, I had forgotten about the TAFM. I suppose I'd be open to that one too. My only hesitation with the Diabolik and TAFM, I guess, is that they don't have the traditional fuzz tone that's in the back of my head (to me). However, I've only heard great things about them and how they sit in the mix. When I think fuzz I think more stoner rock/doom so I don't know how well those would do at that/at inspiring me to play said things.

On the other hand, they'd be amazing at industrial style tones which is something else I'm into (and now I need 2 fuzzes..)

rjovin likes this.
  4. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Great sound
    But I feel like the malekko pedals work better with passive basses, not so much with my Musicman

5. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    The Bass Bloom is a great pedal but probably not fuzzy enough for your needs.

Then there is the Supercollider, or the EFE Dope Priest. Bluebeard is great and muffy too.

XXL likes this.
  6. SGFX Imperial
    Cog Effects Grand Tarkin

Both those are muffs with mid controls.

7. From clips I've heard, the Imperial is too smooth for my liking. The Grand Tarkin seems nice (really I want most of his pedals) but it's a little past my price range. I'd like to cover most of the cost of a new fuzz through selling the Static.

8. Too smooth? So what you need then is an octave style fuzz, like a Superfuzz or a Brassmaster, or even something crazier like a FZ-2/Scrambler/BeeBaa.

ss/bs Buzzz
    Malekko Bassmaster or Diabolik
    Wounded Paw Attack Goat
    EA Pale Mare
    Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz or Bee Buzz
    etc etc etc

Bassist4Eris, Musicman1901 and XXL like this.
  9. I had thought about the Buzzz as well, but wasn't sure how much low end it held or how much punch would be sacrificed for the biting top end. I'm going to look into the attack goat, just found a promising demo.

Any clips or vids with the Pale Mare on bass? I used to dig the EA Iron Pig

10. Paging @XXL...

The Attack Goat I can speak to - it is fantastic. With the blend, you can get as much or as little bite as you want, and with that along with the tone/mids control, you never have to worry about punch and bottom end.

SplinteredSkull likes this.
  11. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007

EA Supercollider all day everyday. Either the '71, original SC, or the Beast.

Pale Mare is awesome no doubt, but I personally like to use it for my Oct, filter, fuzz trifectas. For those inspiring riffs of stoner doom I absolutely love the '71 Supercollider.

SplinteredSkull and blindrabbit like this.
  12. So: Attack Goat, Diabolik, Supercollider, VA Fuzz Box, Big Game EAND, Buzzz, TAFM.

That seems like a good order to try stuff in right?

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. You probably can't get a bad order out of those. :)

SplinteredSkull likes this.
  14. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I have to say IME the TAFM is one of the most versatile fuzz pedals ever. The diabolik is cool but I don't find it versatile. I think it sound badass but it's kind of a one trick pony. Just my opinion of course. The TAFM can go from powerful screaming rock fuzz all the way to gated sputtery synthy fuzz. It's a great pedal. I have heard nothing but great things about the supercollider and can't wait to try one. It sounds like it could rival my Bluebeard.

blindrabbit, SplinteredSkull and XXL like this.
  15. So I listened to this song today and think that maybe a fuzz like this would interest me:

Around the 1:35 mark the guitar solos leaving the bass better heard. It sounds like he's doing some sort of bi-amping or blend (like I would as well). Thoughts on which fuzz for that sort of tone?

16. If the Red Witch Zeus wasn't so expensive I'd like to give one of those a spin

17. ...and, if I may add, the TAFM makes for an absolutely incredible overdrive when run at low gain. Like seriously incredible.

Crazy Otto and Musicman1901 like this.
  18. I dunno man, I think that sounds more like a Rat? You did say before that your Volt Thrower would get you the sounds that you want.

There's a Dunwich One Knob Op Amp Distortion for sale in the classifieds - maybe make that your "distortion" tone, and use your VT for the more serious almost-fuzzed-out tones?

Musicman1901 likes this.
  19. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    That doesn't sound like fuzz to me at all. Sounds like distortion. A fuzzrocious rat tail would probably get you in that ballpark for a reasonable price.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. Great ears hear alike? ;)