Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping neck and bridge pickups in a jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birminghambass, Oct 30, 2005.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Anyone ever tried this? I've got an off brand P+J and I want to relace the pickups. The bridge won't accomodate a normal sized j bridge, however a neck j pu fits perfect. Any experiences or comments on how this would sound? Thanks.

2. As long as the strings line up fairly close w/the pole pieces you should be fine. I don't think jazz style bridge and neck pickups vary in design other than size and maybe a slight output difference. I believe it's the location of each pickup that gives it the majority of it's tonal character difference ie: bridge p/u is brighter and snappier than the neck p/u because of it's location closer to the bridge.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    J pickups as a set are generally Reverse Wound / Reverse Polarity. You might have to dink about flipping the leads from the bridge pickup but that's an easy thing to do if you;re handy with a soldering iron.