Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping necks on an SX P-ho

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bigfatbass, Apr 28, 2005.

1. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I know the pick-ups and bridges are easily changable, but what about the necks? Anybody ever perform such a maneuver?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

to my knowledge, necks are basically not interchangeable unless it's the same era/model bass. I swapped necks between two Ibanez GSR 200's and 2 Ibanez GSR 190's. The 200 and 190 are virtually identical looking basses except the 190 doesn't have a veneered heastock and it has real chincey tuners. The necks on the 190 and 200 aren't interchangeable.

Also, the acoustic properties of a bass are practically all in the neck. So if you swap necks, don't expect the bass to sound like it did - it will sound like the bass the neck was removed from with little if any variation.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    From what I've heard, a Fender neck (or similar -- Mighty Mite, Warmoth, etc.) will fit on an Essex (SX) bass. But that's just what I heard. I've never actually tried or confirmed this.

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Do a search in the Essex Bass Megathread. I bet someone has done that very thing...

5. I have

All of the necks on the Essex Fender type basses are interchangeable with the others - J with P's and vice versa. The maple/maple necks have 21 frets but the 21st is on an extension. The rosewood necks are 20 fret but fit the same neck pocket and work with the same bridge location.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think he meant can he use a Fender neck on an SX body...am I correct?

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm, a plus for SX. I couldn't figure why Ibanez would make two different pockets for essentially the same bass. The 190 is a cheaper version (if you can imagine that) so maybe it's manufactured some place different.

At any rate - is it not an exception that rarely will necks swap out or is that just a poor assumption I made based on limited experience?

8. Cool. I've been thinking about buying a couple of SXes, a fretted PJ and a fretless J, then swap the necks to get a fretless PJ (which I think would rock!) and sell off the remaining fretted J.

9. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I got a lefty jazz natural ash with the black binding and black (paint) blocks on maple neck. The ebay add states that it's 2 9/16" wide which is wider than the standard 2 1/2" Fender neck pocket. I wanted this for the body I was going to put it on. It won't fit on my Fernades P, which is 2 1/2" exactly (obviously) unless a lot of shaving is done.
    If you were wondering, I like a clean (no pickgaurd) look and used necks are a risk so I bought the whole bass new and am selling the new body (lefty) and now neckless.