swapping necks....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kael, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have recently acquired a fretless MIM fender J in a trade, and have been reminded why I dislike J necks. Too thin and narrow for my tastes. So I'm thinking about replacing the J neck with a lined fretless P style neck.

A) Would like to source a lined fretless P neck. Other than Warmoth, mighty mite, and all parts, who else carries reasonably priced necks. Since this is just a mexi, I don't want to spend too large an amount (ie: moses is out). Conversely, I don't want to go scarping the bottom of the barrell either (ie: SX is probably out too). Since this is a fender, I would presume that it shouldn't be too difficult to find a neck that fits with relatively little effort. Is that assumption valid?

B) I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I've never replaced a neck myself. Since, as I mentioned, this isn't a "high dollar" instrument, I'd like to not pay someone else to do this. Time I "learned" how to do it myself anyway. Anyone know a web site with pointers and potential pitfalls that they would recommend?

Any and all other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

PS: Wasn't sure if I should have placed this in the luthier section or this one. My apologies to the mods if I guessed incorrectly.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have an Engelhardt and you complain about the thin neck on your Fender? I could give you my "leave it alone" lecture, but you won't listen, so yeah, necks are pretty easy to replace. The neck pockets are almost always the same size. Lots of info on here and on the net how to do it.
  3. Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Heh, yeah I know Engelhardt's have a "thin" neck by DB standards. I'm a pretty reasonable guy so lecture away. If you make enough sense you might even slow me down for a day or two. ;)