Swapping Necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, 2 years ago my singer knocked my kickass aluminum necked Vaccaro 5 (like the old Kramers) off the stand and the headstock snapped completely off. :eek: You can't buy replacement necks, so I've watched ebay ever since and finally got the exact same bass, even down to the color! The neck and action are perfect.

Here's my dilemma. I installed an 18v EMG preamp in my old bass, and it sounded great -- the bass comes stock with an aggressive tone and with the EMG you could put an extra sharp edge on the aggression to slice through any mix. Now that I have this new one, I'm thinking about putting the new neck on the old body, but my fear is that I'll screw up the perfect relief/action I have right now. I guess I'm just not that good/confident in neck adjustments. I do do my own setups, but have never been completely happy with my work on 5 string necks. For whatever reason, when I adjust one of my fivers I'm always thinking the B string was tighter, action lower, etc. before I started tweaking.

Anyway, I probably will swap necks today because I have the day off. Do you have any advice on how to make sure everything goes smoothly?
  2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Why can't you move the preamp into the new bass?
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I could, but it would mean a bunch of soldering and swapping the neck only looks like 4 screws.
  4. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If it's the exact make and model of bass, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. AFAIK, there isn't a truss rod in an aluminum neck, so it should be set with the same amount of relief, so no adjustment would be needed....unless, of course, the nut is cut differently...which I doubt.

Give it a go...It couldn't hurt. If worse comes to worse, just put the neck back on the other bass and then swap out the electronics as BassManPatsFan suggested.
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    This new design does have a truss rod. That's a good idea though, as long as I don't change anything I should be able to put it back on the new body and still have the same relief/action.