swapping out pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Is it possible to just cut the 2 wires from the old pickup and just wire the new one to the same wires?(I know this sounds very dumbassish, but is it possible? and would it work?)
  2. well no, you can't change pick-ups without soldering or desoldering. you know desoldering a wire takes about 10 sec. So there's no benefit in cutting wires. Anyway you'd have to solder the ends of the 2 wires together and thats a lot harder than just soldering a wire to a pot. not to mention that it could add some noise to your signal.

Changing pick-ups is not hard to do anyone can do it just try it :p
  3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    but it will work?
  4. yes it should work but it'll be more trouble than doing it it the regular way and you'll save no time
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It will work and if soldered correctly will not add noise or deteriorate perfomance. You'll need to insulate with tape or shrink tubing after.

It's probably best to just desolder at the pots, clean it up and solder in the new ones, unless you have some special reason for connecting to the original wires.
  6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I just have no soldering skill is all...
  7. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It doesn't take much to learn. Soldering guns are cheap and you can practice with scrap wire and pots that you can salvage from junked electronics. There's lots of info online.

If all that is still too daunting , find a guitar player who swaps out his own pickups. He'll be able to do it for you. Or go to a guitar tech who can do it quickly and inexpensively.
  8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I wish I could invent some sort of clip system to test out my new piclups and preamp until I can get it to a tech..
  9. Rattman

Jul 3, 2006
    Anaheim, Ca.
    I wish I could invent some sort of clip system to test out my new piclups and preamp until I can get it to a tech..

No, you don't have to 'invent' clips like you are describing. Radio Shack should still carry those double-ended micro alligator clips already attached to short wire 'leads' that designed for such testing as you described.

But how can you test your PUP without removing the one thats there already? Test it how? Your idea kinda leaves me confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. The way to test a PUP is by installing it, which means you are right back where you started: desoldering and resoldering leads to the POTS from the PUP thats needs to be removed first, and the replacement PUP that of course SHOULD also be hard-soldered to know how it will actually sound.

Find a guitar tech, or if you have to.. a luthier.
  10. Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'm sure you can find a good web site that explains how to do a basic solder. It is easier to solder to the pots.
    Your question about 'Will it work?' may have the answer "No".
    If the pickup is mounted to a pickguard, then moving that around when re-installing it may cause the wires to come loose - so tying them together, while technically will give you a good enough connection, may come apart if not really done well, and taped, and such. So, really, get a cheap-o soldering iron or gun - or borrow one - or find a friend. Not doing so may work in the short term, but I'd bet that sometime sooner than later, the problems and fixing it again later will be much more of a pain.
    Also, depending on where you cut the wires, you may make the old pickup not useable, or not very attractive to sell later.
    So I think what we are all trying to tell you is kind of "Yeah, OK, it should work technically, but hey, save yourself a lot of time and pain by taking 5 minutes to learn how to do a basic solder".
  11. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    You could use those wire caps that electricians use for household wiring. You would need to cut the wires. Strip the ends you need to connect about 1/2" and then twist them in a wire cap. Place some electrical tape on around the wire cap when you are done. If done properly, it should be good to go. You will need to do this in the electronics cavity to have enough room.

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I got it covered! I did the install this afternoon,and all is well...No soldering required.I just had to attatch the ground wire,and pickups to the lugs,and ground them as well as connect the battery wires. It sounds awesome! no hum whatsoever or dodgy sounding connections.