Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swapping pups easily?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tony moore, Nov 25, 2004.

1. so i'm wanting to experiment with some different pups. instead of having to "really" install each set of pups via soldering, can i just use connectors to attach the wires from the pups to the wires from ths controls? this would allow me to quickly swap pups and compare while the sound of each is still free in my mind.

any reason why this wouldn't work or cause probs?

thanks!

tony

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes you can do this. No it shouldn't cause any problems; just let the wires hang free whilst you experiment, ie don't keep replacing the pickguard or control cavity cover. Don't fuss over a 'bit' of hum/buzz, just find the tone you like and detail the wiring installation once the pickups are chosen and finally installed.

3. cool, so i'm not crazy :) i was thinking of using the little electrical connectors from radio shack, so i can quickly "plug 'n play". unless there's something better out there?

thanks,

tony

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd just twist the wires together or use alligator clips. It's inly a test and there's no (lethal) voltages present so don't stuff around with anything more complex. I don't.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I use the two smallest wirenut sizes you can get from Home Depot (Blue and grey). Results in a quick connect that's insulated from shorting to other wires so you can put the control bay cover on with a couple of screws cause it's not practical to play with that stuff subject to falling out and shorting - especially in foil shielded cavities or active systems where you have a battery without a clip (I hate those clips and toss them immediately). Just as sound as soldered but temporary if you have standard gauge wiring.