Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping pups on a Lakland clone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dreadhead, Dec 31, 2005.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I have a 4 strings bass with the same pups configuration of Lakland (J+MM). I've got it for a good price and it's a great bass: nice feel, good sound. I would want to upgrade pickups (and maybe the 2band preamp) and I'm looking for a J and a MM pups to do the switch. What pickups should I get? I was thinking about Barts... I would prefer to avoid exposed poles pups 'cause they are noizy when I slap. I'm looking for a Miller sound, pretty edgy but always big.
    I've found:

Bartolini
    Duncan
    Armstrong

I could also add a little series/parallel switch :)
    What do you think? Thanx in advance!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

my first thought to cop someones sound is to get as close as possible to what they've got. That's a start.

Bart's have a different tone and not like your typical alnico 5 MM, which all I've tried sound enough alike to be splitting hairs. A preamp would probably be a good idea with the Barts cuase they tend to be comparatively low output. Not an issue if you have enough amp.

Seems most players that install a series/parallel switch end up useing just one or the other once they've figured it out. Installing one is the only way I know to know. Parallel would also significantly drop the output which, again on the Barts, could be an issue without enough amp.

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I have an Acoustic Image stack, so I don't have enough amp...