Swapping pups on a Lakland clone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dreadhead, Dec 31, 2005.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello! I have a 4 strings bass with the same pups configuration of Lakland (J+MM). I've got it for a good price and it's a great bass: nice feel, good sound. I would want to upgrade pickups (and maybe the 2band preamp) and I'm looking for a J and a MM pups to do the switch. What pickups should I get? I was thinking about Barts... I would prefer to avoid exposed poles pups 'cause they are noizy when I slap. I'm looking for a Miller sound, pretty edgy but always big.
    I've found:

I could also add a little series/parallel switch :)
    What do you think? Thanx in advance!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

my first thought to cop someones sound is to get as close as possible to what they've got. That's a start.

Bart's have a different tone and not like your typical alnico 5 MM, which all I've tried sound enough alike to be splitting hairs. A preamp would probably be a good idea with the Barts cuase they tend to be comparatively low output. Not an issue if you have enough amp.

Seems most players that install a series/parallel switch end up useing just one or the other once they've figured it out. Installing one is the only way I know to know. Parallel would also significantly drop the output which, again on the Barts, could be an issue without enough amp.
  3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    I have an Acoustic Image stack, so I don't have enough amp...