1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swapping sets over

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SoVeryTired, Jul 18, 2012.

1. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Probably a bit of a noob question...

I'll explain the background: I decided to experiment with a custom set of La Bella nickels to get a balanced tension effect, but the .135 B wasn't great (confirmed as being 'a touch dark'). While waiting for a replacement I needed a working set so I put a set of Dean Markleys on and put the four good La Bellas back in their packets. I've now got a new .128 B on the way and so will have two almost new sets.

Will it harm the strings if I swap them over a couple of times to see which I like best? Or am I best just leaving the La Bellas in their packets until I next need to put new strings on?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Nope!

Just dont bend strings back and forth... Try to keep the coiled up part as coiled as possible and not straighten it and let it coil differently ...

If you keep bending / unbending metals they will break.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Thanks! I was a bit wary after breaking my old B string on reinstalling it, but thinking back I probably did straighten it out to judge where to cut the new string.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Just don't bend back and forth too much and you will be alright :D