Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping SWR for EDEN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoot, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Zoot

Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    Hi. After melting a voice-coil in my SWR RedHead combo and waiting 2months for a new driver to be shipped to the UK (still waiting) I have decided to buy some EDEN gear and sell the SWR combo when it finally gets repaired (if ever!!!)

I want to run a pair of 210Eden cabs. This is because I don't want to haul big cabs everywhere when just a single 210 will do. On larger gigs I can bring both 210s. Are there any downsides to this that I might not have thought of???

Secondly, what Eden amp would be best to run this set-up?? Obviously bigger is better, but I don't want to waste money on headroom thats never gonna be needed. However, I also do not want to be driving the poor amp to its limits at each practise session etc...Any advice on which Eden Head I should opt for?

Cheers y'all.

2. You want the Eden WT 550. They make a pretty ballsy 210, which you should start with. From what I hear, you may not even need the extra 210 if this cab is all its cracked up to be.

I forget if it is the XST or XLT. . .

Don't worry about having too much head room-no such thing. You are better off with too much power than not enough, both philisophically and as a matter of physics.

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I just played a WT 550 through an 8 ohm XST 210 the other day. It was very impressive. It puts out 300 watts @ 8 ohms, and it was plenty loud enough. I have always liked the XST cabs more than the XLT's. They have a very deep yet defined low end to them. I would go with 4 0hm XST's since the 550 can go down to a 2 ohm load (620 watts). That way you can be sure to have the right amount of headroom you desire.

4. Well you lose all remaining headroom running any amp at 2 ohms, just can run more cabs and have more volume.

So it is the XST that has all the balls. What was the price of the WT 550 and that cab at the store? Just curious.

5. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado

The store is closing out all their high end Eden gear so the 550 was going for $999. and the XST 210 was going for $650. Great deal, and I am going to jump on it if it is still there after X-mas. They also have a WT 800 and a WT 400 on close out as well.

Cool thing too, the 550 had a speakon connector as well as the 1/4. The Eden web site said that it only had 1/4 outs, and that turned me away from it in the first place.

6. Well you could probably secure it with a deposit. Eden's web sight contains so many innacurracies here and there. The pdf manuals are the most reliable. Even they contain typos. But that would make a great rig.

I don't need any more horsepower right now. But if I find the right band, I want the WT 550 and a small, balls-to-the-wall cab. It will either be the XST or one the the Schroeders.

7. I run 2 EDEN 210XSTs (see sig) incidently using a SWR amp :p and get a great 'full' tone.

They eat the 'B' on my Warwick for breakfast (you have to hear it when I have the axe's pre on max-bass). I previously used a quadbox but found it too awkward (particually loading into/out of normal sized cars). These are definately more portable and not too heavy (I'm a skinny 6 foot guy who weighs 65 kgs) for me.

8. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Get the 550 - you will not regret it.

9. :) I moved from an SVT3Pro/Ampeg4x10 to a WT550/LabSystem4x10HP, unless you gig big rooms and outdoors the WT550 has all the mumbo and tone you'll ever need ..... try it out. :hyper:

10. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Another vote for the WT550.
    Great tone, portability, and volume to spare.
    I use it with a 8 ohm D210XLT with a rock cover band, it's perfect and can be louder than I need.
    With my hardcore band i use a 4 ohm D410XLT, and that make some serious noise. My MesaRectifier 4x10 Engl guitar man have to beg for mercy if I crank my volume...

Very expensive stuff here in Europe, but you can make a great deal buying directly in the USA.
    I did it withBassCentral, and I saved a lot of money.

Eden heads can easily be switched for 110 or 220 volts operation too.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Zoot,

One of my rigs is a WT-550 and a pair of 8 ohm 210XLTs. It's a great rig with excellent tone and headroom. You're absolutely right about just using one cab for the gigs where you don't need to play at high volume.

I've heard good comments on the XST cabs. they're rated at a higher power rating so they might be the way to go for you. I tried an XST out once, but I can't really comment on a comparison with the XLT from what little that I remember. The cab definitely sounded good to me though.

12. I had the exact same situation with my old Redhead. The voice coils went boobies up during a band rehearsal with an obnoxiously loud keyboard player who really liked the sound of his new Leslie speaker a bit too much.

I waited months for new cones to arrive (SWR is known for their horrible customer service).

Eden speakers are the sh*t IMO. You can't go wrong with them. Their amps however are mediocre sounding and simply do not take advantage of the tonal capabilities the speakers can offer.
    Try going for a Mesa pulse 360 or 600 as a head (if you can afford it). The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the majority, so... there.