1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swapping Tech 21 for Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJW, Jun 6, 2007.

1. NJW

NJW

Jul 19, 2006
    Dundee, Scotland
    Hey Folks,

I've been playing a Tech 21 Landmark 300 for a number of years now, and I don't love the tone. It does a good job, and has served me well for countless shows, but its not 'just right'. However, financial constraints mean I can't really upgrade with any ease.

I have been thinking about selling the tech 21 and using the money to buy an Aguilar AG500SC (plus a bit more money put in by myself). The reason for this, more than anything, is that I fancy a change. Aguilar is a rare brand here in Scotland, so I'm sure if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it on again.

The question is, will i be happy, or dissapointed with the change? I will be pairing it with an Ampeg 6x10 and playing passive USA Fender's through it. I play rock but love a clear, articulate sound.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the ag500-112 should be a clearer articulate sound. I'd suggest really experimenting with the aguilar combo to see if you can get an approximate sound that you like. I doubt that 112 will be enough for a loud gig, but add another 112 and you should be o.k...

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    It might help to know what in your sound don't you like right now, and what are you looking for in your sound? When it comes down to it, the Ampeg 6x10's have a unique sound in themselves and that might be more of your problem.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Where did he say he wants a 1X12 combo? He said he wants the AG500-SC (single channel head) and he's going to pair it with an Ampeg 6X10...

5. NJW

NJW

Jul 19, 2006
    Dundee, Scotland
    what i didnt like was the nasty top end fizz from the tech 21. It has served me well, but I'm just looking for something new. I've spent a lot of time trying to dial in the sound to be as good as possible, and I'm still not entirely happy with it.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had an AG500SC and it does provide what you ask, great ROCK tone but being ARTICULATE at the same time. I would've kept it if I dindt have a DB750. It's a very nice and loud amp. Sounds very clean but with some tube warmth w/o any tubes. I love the Low Mid & High Mid knobs. Great for cutting through the mix.

I think the AG would be a lot clearer than the Tech21. Try it if you can.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Sorry, I confused the "sc" with the combo, my bad.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021