1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

swapping to neodymium speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ialma, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    I've used the search function but haven't found too much about the subject.

What could happen swapping the standard speaker in my 112 cabinet with a neodymium one with same specs ?

Sorry for the noob question :)

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Most probably saving weight

3. +1

Really the specs you need to look at are not the weight and power handling specs. You need to look at the T/s parameters, and figure out if the driver you are looking at will play nice in the cab you have. Otherwise you could spend money on a nice driver and end up with a sucky cab.

4. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Seriously, a NEO version with the same specs (TSP's, cone, spider, voice-coil material) as a ferrite version will sound exactly the same.

5. Yep, IF all those specs are the same.

That said most people look at impedance, power handling, and driver size and expect everything to line up for a straight drop in.

6. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    That said, how can I get some specs of an unknown driver since the cab builder won't tell exact details ?

7. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    1. measure the TSP's of the driver yourself
    2. reverse engineer the cabinet

On point 2.
    What you need is the internal volume of the cabinet and the port diameter and lenght(if there is any). With this info one can determine the cabinets tuning frequency which is important for choosing a different 12" driver.
    Just put the above mentioned specs here on this thread and I'll give you some options for a Neo 12" driver that will work in your cabinet.

8. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    This, in spades...

a simple "dont do it" is usually the best answer.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Agreed. But if you already have the driver anyway theres no harm in trying.

10. I'd love to see how you work this through, or see some references on the process/formulas for working it out for myself. Thanks!

11. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    I use one of the tools in Boxsim to calculate the tuning, it's pretty precise when it comes to ported cabinets.

12. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Fixed.

I'm not sold on neo speakers. IMO they lack balls at high volumes. A ferrite driver gets growly and gritty when pushed. The one neo cabinet I owned stayed somewhat sterile and tended to lose bottom. Just my experience mind ya.

13. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Fixed it again ;)

"Seriously, a NEO version with the same specs (TSP's, cone, spider, voice-coil material) as a ferrite version sound exactly the same".

If all technical and measurable specs are the same they WILL sound the same.
    But in reality it will not be possible to get exactly the same technical and measurable specs when designing a driver as a ferrite and as a Neo.
    They will get very close though, so close your ear will probably not hear any difference (the measuring equipment will).
    I've seen measurements from some Tangband Neo and Ferrite drivers and they were very close to eachother.

14. Under the assumption that you like the sound of the ceramic driver, and that the neo driver will sound the same (not a safe bet IME), why bother? You stand to reduce cab weight by probably not more than 3-5 lbs (48-80oz). If it's a light weight cab it's already light. If it's an old school cab the percent reduction is minimal. You might want to ask the builder how much weight will be saved.

Just saying, the juice may not be worth the squeeze...

15. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    There... I fixed it for you OP! :hyper:

And the answer is: No, I'm not surprised you didn't get that. It is in fact a trick question. Coventry City have never won the English football cup.